How bad does piercings hurt?

So I'm gettin ear piercings soonish. My question is how bad do they hurt? I'm honestly kinda scared of that and also the same thing for lip piercings? How much worse than a shot is it? Cause I can take those to the arm easily they don't even hurt.

Most Helpful Girl

• The amount of pain you'll experience depends on what you're getting pierced, how you're piercing it, and your own pain tolerance. Personally, I don't think piercings hurt very badly at all. I recommend you pierce it with a needle instead of a gun because the gun doesn't actually pierce the skin, it only punctures it. It seems counter intuitive because we're raised in a needle-fearing society, but needles hurt less. I've never had my lip pierced, but I have four piercings on each of my earlobes, two on my left cartilage, an inner conch piercing in my left ear, a tragus piercing in my right ear, and an industrial piercing on my right ear. The lobes felt like a pinch, the cartilages felt like a stronger pinch, the inner conch felt like a very strong pinch, I didn't feel my tragus being pierced at all, and the industrial piercing itself felt like a pinch like my cartilages did, but it hurt when the bar was put through. Personally I think getting a shot is worse. When you get your piercings, make sure to keep them clean or they could get infected, which could hurt. Pay extra attention to keeping your lip piercing clean because the mouth is full of germs, which makes a new piercing there vulnerable to infection. Good luck! (:

What Girls Said 8

• Well regular ear piercings just feel like a quick pinch.

My first cartilage ear peircing I didn't even feel, I had to ask the lady if she did it all ready LOL

my second cartilage I felt a little, it felt like a pinch.

• They hurt more than shots but are over just as fast. You won't really feel too much pain then, maybe in the days to come you will. When I got my cartilage pierced it took a few weeks/ a month to heal properly but I don't know how long it'd take for a lip ring.
    In any case, piercings barely hurt when you get them done 😊

• Ear piercings only give you a small sting that last under a minute. I got mine done when I was 6 years old. I remember crying the whole time waiting, but as soon as it was done I sat there and laughed at myself. Don't be scared and try not to think about pain. Put yourself in a happy place. It's about as harmful as a shot or less. It would be better to have someone with you just in case you need a hand to hold or someone to keep you occupied. The lip piercing I would imagine is a little worse than a shot, but I'm not sure for I've never had one.

• It's not bad. It only lasts a second. It helps to breathe out while the needle is shoved through. It does hurt more than a shot though. But pain shouldn't deter you from getting something you like. Every piercing is a bit scary for me, but the pain is always less bad than I expected.

• Depends on where and your tolerance for pain. I had my lip pierced. It didn't hurt me. I have 3 holes in each ear. They didn't hurt either. I think the higher up on the ear you go tho, the more painful it'll be.

• I got my ears pierced and it didn't feel bad. It is just real quick and when they are done you can feel the earrings in your ears. One of my ears was painless, but the other hurt a bit, but other then that it's really not that bad, honestly I wouldn't stress over it.

• Not bad at all. Lip hurts. Ear is better than a shot.

• I had my nose , tongue, lip and belly button and ears pierced, piercing dont hurt it is a rush, the only part is the healing, but if i could say which one hurts more, it would be the cartilage on the ear

What Guys Said 2

• not much... just some pain that lasts 2 secs max :)

• Okay, I'm a big wuss about sharp instant pain so that's why I'm worried, I can take dragged out pain better so that's why I'm not worried about tattoos

• It's not bad at all. Gauging hurts the 1st time you size up. Never had a lip piercing but my nips are pierced and it didn't hurt at all. I've pierced them myself before too.