Question for atheists... ?

Hypothetically speaking, if you found out that God was real would it ruin your life?

I know this is kind of a weird question, but my questions are getting kind of simple these days.

Please answer honestly, and humbly.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• If he was proven to exist, then why wouldn't I start believing?

The reason I don't believe is because it can't be proven and furthermore it's extremely unlikely he does--there is no logical reason to believe in his existence at this time.

This is what is great about science. It says "prove it." If evidence is discovered that is new and contradicts current beliefs, then it is analyzed for it's truth. Sometimes that means old beliefs are thrown away entirely, sometimes simply modified.

If science discovered credible evidence of the existence of God, then I would believe. Short of that, I will not.

• "there is no logical reason to believe in his existence at this time."

Which is just your opinion.

What evidence is there that science is valid? What scientific evidence is there that science is valid. Many people see evidence for God, you should enlighten/educate yourself.

• Not in the mood for arguing with an evangelist, sorry.

• I'm not an evagalist, but thanks for the label. Classy.

What Girls Said 8

• Why would it ruin my life? Being an atheist doesn't mean you have no morality or conscience. I'd probably continue to live my life the exact same way.

• Why would it?

I find some religious people's perceptions of atheists amusing. As if we'd discover god exists and cringe in terror because an omnipresent and loving, divine higher power who promises to take us to a blissful afterlife is truly frightening to us atheists right? because we hate anything pure and beautiful..

If I somehow discovered that god undoubtedly exists my feelings towards it would depend on what kind of god exists.

• Depends, are we talking about the the Christian God, or the almight Zeus? :D Maybe God turns out be a lemon shaped... That would weird me out.

• It wouldn't, if god or goddess is real, then they are a really neglectful and confusing parent

• No.. wouln't change much I guess

• No. Might depend on which God, though. If I've been neglecting to pray to Zeus all these years, and he's super pissed about it, that could be a problem.

• It would not.

• I'm not an atheist though but if I was one it would ruin me

• Did nothing for god?
      Doesn't god want you to be charitable, kind, loving and forgiving? Humble and gracious? Are you saying only Christians do these things? Because that's far from the truth.

• I'm not christian though I'm a deist

What Guys Said 13

• It wouldn't ruin me, why do you even assume that? It depends on which god I would discover but I probably wouldn't change my way of life. Oh and if had a chance to talk to him/her/it I'd ask him why is he such a dickhead to fuck up the whole planet. No heaven for me, I guess :)

• It wouldn't ruin my life, no. I would assume atheists would adjust better to a God than believers would to no God.

• You're probably right, but that doesn't really mean anything.

• np... i'd believe in him then :D

• A saying among empiricists is "my opinions change with new information." I'm more interested in the truth than in my own wishes and desires.

• Naw not all. fuck that nigga

• Not at all lol

• That's called playing the "If Game". "If" has never happened so planning my life around it is pointless.
    My reaction would be exactly the same "If" fairies were real, "if" Godzilla is real or "if" Thor the God of thunder is real.

• I guess you missed the humbly part...

So I guess the underlying assumption is that he doesn't exist. Not that you haven't found evidence...

• 1. "You have no evidence to support the idea of a God."

Most people would disagree with you.

2. Read the first comment I made.

I'm not arguing about this with you.

• You say "many people would disagree", but still haven't presented any scientific evidence for the existence of a God.
      ! Girl Power!

• Nah it wouldn't ruin my life. Not like I'm going to go jump off a bridge just because I found out god was real...

• I would be like oh cool, guess I get to go somewhere after death after all

• I don't see why it would ruin my life in any way. Rather confused by what you mean.

• I's start hating and fighting him. Why?

Total number killed by God in the Bible
    - Using biblical numbers only: 2,821,364
    - With estimates: 25 million
    - See more at: dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.be/.../...-bible.html

• no why would it?

It'd be nice to believe you're going to live forever and all that crap.

• There are different types of atheists, actually. I'm an agnostic atheist, meaning that until I see proof of the existence of a deity, I'll choose to believe in science. A deity that can't (or chooses not to) make its presence known isn't much of a deity, IMHO.