Americans: What do you like about the state you live in?

I'm a Proud Texan! As @FallenAngel22 said, I love that Texans are proud to be Texans! I I also love the bipolar weather, even though where I live it's always super HOT!
sorry I murdered your username @FallenAngel92

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 33

• Massachusetts has so much history and has been so key to America becoming America in the past. We were one of the first states to have checks and balances between the 3 branches of government which the rest of the country adopted. Historically we've been pretty ahead of the curve when it comes to things like that. In recent times we were one of the first states in the USA to legalize gay marriage which I'm proud of my state for. People are usually very pro social liberalism here which is pretty great. I love the weather that we have here too.. It's usually pretty cool but it can get really hot at times as well. Statistically only 40% of the people here consider religion important in their lives which makes it pretty easy for an atheist such as myself to live. This is something I never really appreciated until I spent time in the Bible Belt and realized how tied in religion is with culture there. I never felt like more of an outcast than I did in my time there but maybe that was just because I spent more time in small towns. We have religious people here too but religion is a private thing where I live whereas in the Bible Belt in small towns it's sort of expected that EVERYONE should take part in the traditions which is really awkward. I got fed up with pretending to pray and doing churchy stuff just to appease everyone haha

But yeah Massachusetts is a great state to live.

I'm a proud Masshole!

• There's a lot of great things about Oregon, but the best thing is the scenery, from the desert in the East

static1.squarespace.com/.../...theasternOregon.JPG

to the mountains

nworegonrealestatecommunity.com/.../...8994496.jpg

to the beautiful forests

www.daviddanielsphotography.com/.../...-oregon.jpg

to the beach where you can watch the sun set over the ocean

cdn.c.photoshelter.com/.../...set-Oregon-Coast.jpg

It's just beautiful! Also, no sales tax and, NO TEXANS!

• nice!! why so much hate towards Texans? ahah

• @asker

For the same reason you love Texas so much, it's their attitudes and how they think that being born there makes them better in some way, (or how they think Texas is just the end all be all).

Many don't like the far right politics of Texas either, but the Eastern part of Oregon is pretty Republican.

Here's what the state divide people-wise looks like:
      yourfaceisstupid.com/.../...-vs-western-oregon.jpg

• Or the same reason fallenangel loves Texas so much.

• Texas! Yo you're not lying about the bipolar weather.. all four seasons in one day sometimes.
    Is it wrong that I mainly just like the state because of my city? The entire country looks chaotic outside of Houston :O
    I'll take my cheap gas prices, most diverse city in America, cheap food prices, low unemployment rate, urban ass hometown :)

Not feeling the mosquitoes though...
    Went outside for a few minutes and this happened
    41.media.tumblr.com/.../...e2XbWB1sx3zf0o1_400.jpg

• This country is tiny but varied:
    The seaside, agricultural flats, a hilly region, four cities, three languages. a good but not perfect public transport system. 7% or so immigrants to bring some color to it.
    All of this is manageable, due to the tiny size.
    Of course, that variety makes for a very complicated political system and lots of discussions.
    Because of tiny size the next country is always close. If only we had oil...*sigh*
    @Hans222 LOL

• I won't speak about the weather: lots of rain, difficult previsions.

• Definitely the ocean/beach. After that, our produce is just AMAZING.

media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/.../...r-pfeiffer-sp.jpg

• beautiful!! what state? :)

• @wabbajockie I totally get it. I imagine I'd feel the same way, frankly. Regardless, I hope Texas is treating you well and you'll eventually get seaside again.

• aha South Padre Island is 2 hours away from where I live, but I want to leave like literally near the ocean ahah

• perfect weather lol.

suck it losers! :P :P

• There is a lot too do. Good weather (too good I guess).

• I just like how there's everything to do. I live in Charlotte, NC. The weather sees a little bit of all the seasons but is mostly warm. There's many different activities to do across the region. If you like cities you can stay in the Piedmont, if you like mountains you travel West, if you like beaches you travel East. There's many, many educational and job opportunities. There's Cheerwine and Cookout.

• Well from the lush, green sea of trees, to the loud, gun toting rednecks hell bent on thinning the deer population, and from the factories along the river pumping out sulfuric gas clouds and C8 into our water systems, to the state's long and storied history, what's not to love about my state.

• I'm from Arizona.

Pros -
    Nice weather during the winter.
    More affordable.
    Very lenient gun law.

Cons -
    Poor education system (one of the lowest ranked states in the United States for education).
    Hot as hell weather that already starts in the Spring and gets even hotter when it gets to late Summer.

• I like the small towns, friendly people, tight community, wide opens plains, beautiful views, sunflowers and the best damn sun sets and sun rises daily in the whole country. Among many other things.

• Gas is cheap and we don't get much snow.

• Nothing. Jk. I like a lot of stuff about NJ. I especially like the scenery near my lake house, the vicinity to NYC, and not having to pump your own gas

• Wisconsin is the best damn state since 1848

• Well this state is green and peaceful. There is little crime and the people are quite friendly, if a little homespun.

• Washington: cheap gas, good weed, beautiful Asian girls all over the place in mini skirts.

The bad side: expensive tax on alcohol and ciggs, the worst drivers I have ever seen. The hipster movment.

• Texan here also!

• 1. It's Alaska.
    Nuff said.

• Highest suicide rate in the country up there...

• @Illusive_Man

Bald eagles are in all 50 states. Alaskans need to try a lot harder if they want me to think they're the best! (they do have some of the best scenery though, probably #1 in the country).

• @GoodDogNigel
      @Illusive_Man
      Highest bear attacks? Well that's probably a side effect of having the most bears don't you think? (Cuz uh, we didn't kill all of ours ;D)
      As for gun homicide rates, obviously a problem, it's hard to maintain a law enforcement presence across a state almost twice the size of Texas not connected by roads.
      You want to be impressed?
      How about no state sales tax, no property tax, not even an income tax bruh.
      How about being so rich in oil and minerals and fish that the entire state is financed through them?
      How about miles upon square miles of untouched wilderness?
      How about being one of the only states in the country with a stable state student organization without its hands being held by adult supervisors?
      How about thousands of people still supporting themselves with subsistence?
      I could go on.

• Everything, California is a golden state!

• The air is fresh. The water is tasteless and colourless. Everything is green.

• no state income tax!

• Nevada sucks dude. Worst poverty rate, worst unemployment, worst education system. (I think)

• I like the lax gun laws, I'm gonna get myself a good rifle eventually.

• TEXAS, YEAH!

Southern state, mostly Republican, guns, and so on.

• Great ballet schools...

• they still think its the 80s and 90s when they were the shit.

• The ocean. And the sports teams. Other than that, Massachusetts sucks.

• My state sucks all around lol. Not even worth mentioning the name of it.

• It's quite

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 25

• I like the various geography here. We have the beach since my state borders the Atlantic ocean but we also have the Appalachian mountains, huge fields and pastures, wooded areas, etc. So, I like the diversity of that.

I dislike our bi-polar weather. It could be 90 degrees one day and drop down to 60 degrees the next day. The weather changes so often. It might be sunny and then all of a sudden cloudy and start raining. Lol

• Oh and by the way, I know you only asked about what we liked but, every state has it's pro's and con's. Lol And I live in Virginia :)

• Haha it doesn't surprise me, Texas is a huge state so I'm sure it gets all kind of weather. And yeah, of course :)

• North Carolina is exactly the same

• I live living in Ohio. Specifically Cincinnati for several reasons most having to do with food.
    1. Skyline
    2. Montgomery Inn
    3. Graeters and Aglamesis
    4. Everyone seems to be friendly and nice to most everyone.
    5. Everyone hates the weather but I love it. It's the only place you can experience all 4 seasons in 24 hours.
    6. The way Cincinnati rallies behind our sports teams even though they suck.
    7. Everyone has a blind dedication to their high school, even more so than their college.
    8. It may sound silly but Cincinnati seems to be a very popular book 'plot'.
    9. There is also a lot of rich native American history in Ohio.
    10. I know I'm getting more into the city but the Cincinnati zoo, kings island, and the Cincinnati museum center.

• We consider a horse race a state-wide holiday.

• really? what state?

• Kentucky, haha.

It actually might just be a Louisville thing. I don't know since I only moved cities after I finished high school. But yeah, kids in Louisville have no school on the day of the Kentucky Oaks!

• that's so cool!!!

• Nothing at all, i'm your neighbor state and I HATE it here lol. It's way too hot, the mosquito's/bugs are everywhere, the people are so trashy and everyone is on drugs here, meth is a huge thing here, I would move if my family wasn't from here but I might end moving anyway lol

• Oklahoma? New Mexico? moveee to Texas so I can meet you! ahha :D :D

• Would love to lol. LA, sadly, I actually had family in Texas who moved to LA now but they loved Texas, they only moved here because it was cheaper lol.

• hha awww i'm sad now :( yes i know it's pretty cheap here ahha

• No, Its always cold and gray. Pretty sure we have the least amount of sunshine ever lol. I would love to move but my whole family is here and I don't have the resources to start new in another state. Maybe one day but not now.

• Well this doesn't just apply to where I love but many places in the South. I love how everyone acts like they have never seen snow before. We rarely get snow. I love that it's hot because I don't like it when it's cold. I love some of the restaurants we have. Alabama actually sucks there's not much to do but we have a few things that I like.

• hah great! I know the feeling about not getting snow, I've never seen snow :(

• Well maybe you will see it one day. You aren't really missing out on anything.

• matadornetwork.com/.../

Except for the door wall thing, this list is pretty spot-on.

• OHIO OHIO OHIO! AHHAHA Don't Mess with Texas! ahah love you! <3

• Bahahah the Ohio State thing actually doesn't bother me :p

But I agree, Texas is better than Michigan. Austin, at least. 😝

• hahah EPIC FAIL! ahah I love Austin also!!!

• It's California! Self explanatory! though I can tell you that I highly dislike the traffic.

• yeah, my friend told me that it was crazy and that it has a lot of highways and people drive crazy ahah

• I live in Pennsylvania and the weather is bipolar. one minute is nearly 100, the next it's in the 30's.

• Maryland. We literally have our own dialect of English lol. You'd need a dictionary to live here!!
    Also Maryland isn't JUST Maryland it's D. C., Maryland, and Virginia. We natives consider ourselves, the DMV as we call it, ONE. lol

• The mountains, The Cherokee National Forest, it's in the Bible Belt so the majority of people are religious, most people are nice to everyone, southern cooking, and Rodney Atkins.

• Absolutely nothing. :D

• i like the florida weather.

• me too, I want to move there or to NYC

• Just becareful on the road :/ people drive like shit here

• thanks!! it would be a long drive since i'm from Texas ahah :)

• Whataburger! <3 I'm from Texas too so yeah cx

• Eh I don't know.. I'm in Rhode Island and it's pretty boring tbh

• GEORGIA :)

• Nothing. .. it's boring

• Arizona is just gorgeous. Like the heat is horrible but i love sedona

• I loooove Utah! 4 great seasons, super kind people, beautiful and diverse scenery. I think maybe I'll never leave.

• Portillo's

• I'm not saying where I live, but we have some great amusement parks and we have some amazing eating places!

• quiet and lots of farm land technically we are a swing state but my county is conservative

• I live in Indiana.

• I love the beaches here in Cali. The weather seems nice most of the year (but sadly not all the time :P )

• It's got nice beaches.