Why is Star Wars seen as such a geeky thing?

The Star Wars movies are possibly my favorite movie franchise and I've always heard a bias against them as like 'if you like them you're a geek' now I do know there are guys with no lives who cosplay as it etc, but besides owning the movies on dvd and later bluray and maybe an old toy light saber I bought as a young teen in the back of my closet I'm not some fanboy. I think the movies have good moments and even some good meaning behind the whole fall from grace and later redemption thing with vader. But it baffles me because I've heard people who religiously watch marvel movies call SW fans geeks. And comic books always seemed worse to me. Anyway personally I don't care much, I like Star Wars but they aren't a big part of my life or anything. I'm just curios why it's seen as something that's kid like when a guy running around in tights fighting a giant lizard isn't (by some) no disrespect to the geeks by the way, I'm just wondering why Star Wars seems more singled out than other films.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will happily say I am a self confessed geek, I got some pretty geeky hobbies been to a couple cons which was fun with great company ( never dressed up though not really me).

Just ignore people like that so what, as long as you like the hobby then so what tell them to buzz off and let them just be you.

And the original trilogy was the better, there I said it :P

• I think that 2, 3, 5, and 6 are all on when ground, 1, and 4 I'm not a fan of

What Girls Said 1

• The star wars movies are me too favorite movie but i didn't watch yesterday. Im sorry :(

What Guys Said 8

• It's because there's a huge cult following Star Wars. The people in the cult that are well versed with Star Wars are those who have naturally dedicated a lot of time and effort into being that well versed in the first place. I guess it's kind of self evident that you would believe that this people have no lifes.

• I just watched star wars recently. I'm on the second one where he meets joda. My God he talks sense. Whomever wrote the films had a good sense of morality. If you won't read a bible then listen to what the wee man says. It's been based from religious thinking from the bible. Your in charge of a very complicated bio machine and it takes a certain understanding to work it properly. Star wars joda was quoting from the bible in an abstract way.

• not geeky... mainstream as hell basically :)

• Star Wars is all-time!!! When someone (guy or girl) says they've "never seen star wars" I secretly judge them and their parents LOL

• star trek is seen as geeky

• STAR WARS IS FREAKING AWESOME! I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS!!!

But I still hate Jar Jar.

• I think itd be awesome if jar jar was the villian of the new one just so we could see Han or Luke kill him

• Palpatine*

• Also the planet in the new one is Jakku not tattooine... oh God it's spreading

• But Lord of the Rings man, Oh!

• I don't think it's geeky it's a good movie