Why do a lot of wives drive and their husband/significant other sits in the passenger seat?

I am not Arabic but I used to live in the Islamic world and always the men drove-it was a little sign of respect.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are right. And is still a sign of respect. The man taking the lead and taking care of his lady. So, you can see, by looking around, how little respect women have for men today in the US, and how emasculated men have allowed themselves to become in our culture.

What Girls Said 6

• My ex and I got into a huge spat over this which resulted in me taking a separate car anywhere we went for months. I like driving, I dislike being a passenger. I don't mind taking turns but I don't want to be chauffeured.

• Wow, the aggressive side of me CAN'T FATHOM that

• driving is taking the lead. In the old days men would hold open car doors and drive women around. It is no different than men still paying for first dates

• @person100 in the old days it was cool to smack your wife around for disagreeing with you. I'm not cool with the old days.

• Sitting in the passenger seat whilst your wife drives is actually seen as the wife not showing respect? Wow. I've seen it all now.

• Your obviously being silly. A man driving for a woman all the time, is a little sign of respect and caring for the woman. That's all. Nothing more or less.

• No, I, like many other women don't exactly want to be chauffeured around. I don't know why it has to be all the time, that's silly.

• i drive sometimes. if he doens't want to. or if we're in my car... or if i feel like driving...
    just depends. has nothing to do with respect or antyhing. just whatever works for the moment thats all :)

• Well I would think, if I wanted to take my car out I should drive it and if he wants to take he's car out he can drive it.

• Who cares who drives? I mean we juust take turns. I think it's respect to take turns...

• If she bought the car, she's going to drive it.

What Guys Said 7

• I mean, I'm actually one that enjoys SOME aspects of SOME traditional gender roles, but even I think this one's kind of silly.

Anyway, we're probably not that far away from driver-less vehicles anyway. Whichever person wants to drive can drive.

• In my family the man always drives when the family or at least the two spouses are in the same car.

• Maybe those guys don't like driving?

• welcome to the freedom.

men have given our females a lot of privileges. It shouldn't matter who drives.

in america we don't live by a book 100% like your people do. we are diverse.

• even-though our women are complete idiots we still love our idiots.

• Like my people do? I clearly stated I've lived in an Arabic world, I am not an Arab personally. I am a Westerner.

• oh well... my response sounds more offensive the way I wrote it.

• Because then the man can relax/surf the net on his phone/make important calls or texts/navigate.

• Wow I didn't even know this was a thing...

• Men these days are feminine