Europeans: do you find it funny when an American says that their country or the state they live in has 'a long history'?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madftbSBf11qd4mad.gif

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyna2dnLvb1qmed0bo1_500.gif

(don't mind the gifs... they were just funny xD)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an American and that is funny. Never thought of that. The truth is north america does have a long history just not recorded because the native americans weren't really record keepers. What we know about ancient north america has mostly come from deciphering clues from archeology

• Yeah... xD
      I know... I've always been interested in history in general, also Native American history, but I could never find enough on it. :/

What Guys Said 9

• For us within our period as a country it is long time so we are directly referring to us not anything else, we are not comparing it to any European crap or any other country. Though I could go that route if I wanted since my great uncle or great, great uncle was a MacArthur and the only thing older then a MacArthur is the devil and the hills. And my family came from the Carpathian mountains of Czechoslovakia very old line.

• Your history is also long if you take the original habitants with it. They also had a history.

• A friend from Europe (UK) once told me "that for an American, 100 years is a long time, and that for a European, 100 miles is a long way". A lot of truth there I think.

• Hmmmmm... interesting...

• well said and the time I need in Europe to drive 20 miles is the same I need in the US to drive 100 (art least in the rush hour :-) )

• For thousands of years before the U. S. was founded there were native Americans living in almost every state so it actually does have a long history. I've never heard Americans bragging about how historic their state is anyway.

• never heard of the phrase but america has been a country for almost 300 years so im sure thats enough to say its been around for a long time.

• It's not a competition.

• To what are you referring, specifically?

• No don't think it is funny... what is funny is when they say it is the best country

• everything has a story but it is not funny anymore lol

• I am American and I have never heard this phrase

What Girls Said 1

• Yes it so is. They have almost no history. Yes they had the native Americans but they recently found evidence saying they even came from France. Europeans made up the population of American history therefore we have longer history so stfu.