Does my cat have cancer?

My cat has a lump in his leg which is growing , we're not sure what it is, but it has been growing for the past year.

We're not sure what it is , but we took him to the vet for an x ray and tests, and the tests came back inconclusive.

Is it cancer? Or if not cancer what else could it be? We have had him since 2001 so he's pretty old.

Most Helpful Girl

• Get some more tests done to be sure. Really though, animals get a lot of the same things humans get not just cancer. Sometimes we or they can get these lumps, sometimes they're harmless, sometimes they're cancerous, sometimes they're not cancerous but are still harmful. You literally can't tell if it's something bad or good til the tests come with some results.

One thing I will say though, not to get hopes up because I really don't know, and as I said even non cancerous can be harmful at times, but the fact it's been growing for a year now and he's still here and fine in other ways, is one good sign it isn't cancer. If it turned out to be cancer, and it's been there at least a year... your cat is a soldier... combine that with how old he is! His age alone is so good. He definitely had good innings and had a good life. Well done.

I've got my fingers crossed for him. Hope it comes back as something minor.

• One thing though, the neighbour has moved in with two cats who have taken over the property and even come in and eat his food, he never used to let cats come and do that.

He tries to scare off one of them but the other cat doesn't get too scared, Is that a sign of something bad?

• No, I've had a couple of cats who got old and again just like humans, they started getting more mellow and calm and more easy going in their old age.
      The fact one doesn't get too scared doesn't mean much either, just that that one is willing to fight and doesn't want to back down. That's just how they fight. Threaten, then either go away or stay and fight... fight or flight I think they call it.
      Just try to get the cats away when you see them coming.
      If your cat is a fighter usually though, he could even have the lump from that.

I swear I love your cat lol, he's so old but still wants to threaten the neighbour cats and things like that like he's a youngin. See, soldier lol.

What Girls Said 4

• Same as humans, it can be malignant or benign. I've known a lot of animals that have fatty tissue growths and other benign tumors that look pretty scary, but end up being nothing.
    You have to follow the vet's guidance. If you do not think the vet is doing an adequate job (50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class) then get a second opinion.
    Best of luck!

• So it's something that could dissapear? even after a year of growing?

• Yeah to be honest asking this question on this site will be one of our last actions, at the moment we're just giving him painkillers and watching him closely.

• Not disappear on its own, but rather simply not life-threatening. I know my grandmother's tiny dog just had about 7 large growths removed, they ended up being benign and he is perfectly fine. y other grandmother's dog is 7 and has had a tumor on her tail since she was a puppy. It has been removed before but always comes back so they decided to just let it go, doesn't hurt anything.

• It could be cancerous, or noncancerous, That's strange the tests didn't reveal the answer.. I'd keep an eye on him and take him back if you notice it getting any worse or so. He is quite old and probably doesn't have a whole lot of time left.

• At the moment we're giving him medicine in his food, he is no longer as active, but can still walk around a bit.

• At the moment he has been sleeping a lot, it is winter down here though.

• I see. When humans and animals start to sleep like all day it is a sign that death is near.

• I suggest you take your cat to a veterinarian.

• Get him checked out.

What Guys Said 6

• Ask vet to do biopsy

• better go to another vet so u could verify it?

• They're expensive, it cost $ 1000 last time.

• If it seems to be growing I would him rechecked by vet.

• It would be a very weird place for a cancer to grow (on his/her leg). But the fact that its growing is concerning. Get it to a vet for a biopsy.

• We took him to the vet and we Done $1000 worth of test which came back inconclusive.

• Hmmm I see. I wonder why it was inconclusive, whether it was a poor sample or simply the tissue did not show any findings of malignancy but at the same time could not rule out malignancy. I would think its probably the latter.

Yes that makes it really hard as a biopsy is generally the gold standard for confirming cancer. Even in humans. I guess you could operate, not knowing what is it although with the greater amount of tissue excised it could be tested and have higher probability of figuring out what it really is.

• They said they took 5 samples too.

• It probably is. Nothing a quick hammer blow to the head won't cure.

• It's possible, hopefully it slows him down in his decimation of the indigenous ecology.