What's your view on mental illness?

Is it real or is it just an excuse to get attention? I have ADHD. My mom has a mental illness I don't know what it is. I have a few friends with depression and one of their parents think she's does the things she does for attention.

In my opinion it;s real. But I don't think a lot of parents are aware of them.

Most Helpful Guy

• it's real, I was diagnosed with OCD ( obsessive compulsive disorder) when I was 16 which is an anxiety disorder, I keep cleaning my hands over and over again and I do a lot of these behaviors. I'm not doing this for attention, there's nothing fun about that. Thankfully my mother understands that very well and she helps me to get throw that unlike my father who thinks that I'm doing these behaviors with my own will.

• Oh fuck, sounds familiar.
      Are you like cleaning your hands before go pee, after you pee, after you put your shoes on and so on?

• Even if you were home all day not touching anything but your mobile phone or keyboard?

• @notverycreativeguy yes, when I go from my room to the kitchen for example I have to clean my hands and feet before going back to my room even if I didn't touch anything.

What Guys Said 5

• Ouch I have dated a girl that had depression tough case to crack she wore me out but I finally got her mind right

• It's not real!

• They are the devil.

• It all has to do with your mindset. You can either accept it as a handicap to complain about or as an obstacle to make yourself stronger.

• Sure it's real.
    Some people might use it for attention.

What Girls Said 9

• Getting a diagnosis is not to get attention! Especially, if you have a mental illness, other people do not recognise them as well as physical illness. I believe you should be aware of that as well. At least with a diagnose, your friends, family and the doctor knows how to help you.
    by the way, one of my siblings was diagnose with schizophrenia. :)

• It is not for attention. They cannot help it but they can take medal or seek therapy or support to help combat it.

• Exactly but my friends parents don't think that.

• They can take medication I mean*. And the only reason they think that is because they don't understand so it just looks like her behavior is attention seeking. My father doesn't understand my mental illness but thankfully my mother has been incredibly kind, loving, and supportive and therefore I've overcome my depression. It's not like the sufferer wants to be depressed and our society just looks down on others for being unhappy. Most people just fake being happy in my opinion... At least that's what I think. Then they cope in very shitty ways

• I mean I believe in mental illnesses such as: Bipolar Disorder/Manic Depression, Body Dis-morphia Disorder, Schizophrenia, PTSD, PPD, Autism (not Asperger's), and detachment/personality disorders.

However ADD, ADHD, Asperger's, fake depression, (most people who are actually depressed don't seem like it, they're the nicest funniest people ever. It's when no one can see them that they have depressive thoughts.

I was in a mental hospital, and my whole family is crazy.

• Oh and SAD - don't believe in that either. I do be live in breast related momentary depression (doctors only recognize it in breast feeding women but non breast feeding women have it also) I have it.

• There are severe ones that are inherited or cause by heavy drug use. These are Schizophrenia, bipolar and depression.

Depression is not always clinical and people who have it are the ones who have let themselves go along time ago, depending what sort of beliefs they hold on strongly to.

• An excuse to get attention? You have no idea. No idea at all...

• It's all very real. However I think that the diagnosis for ADHD and ADD is given faster these days. Maybe people expect more from the youth these days or people really have gotten softer. Nobody knows, but it's definitely not for attention. It's something they really suffer from.

• People With Mental Illnesses are Usually More Creative And Imaginative.

• Of course it's real. Some people may pretend that they have mental illnesses that they don't because it's 'trendy' or to be unique or something, but they are very definitely a minority and possible mental illness should always be treated seriously

• It's very real