How can I get my parents to support my career as a singer?

I m 17. I ve been singing since I was 2, and I used to watch American idol when I was younger. I always sang in the car and performed little shows for my relatives. I ve always wanted to be on American idol. I know it s the last season and there s low ratings but I really want to audition. I auditioned last year online and got a callback but it was 4 hour drive away and my mom didn t like Leaving the house and we sat at home that day. In 2012 I auditioned for xfactor and got a callback that was 20 minutes away and yet again my mom didn t want to take me. My mom tells me to audition but then she won t take me to the callbacks (if I get one). I have sang for her and she doesn t know where I got my singing voice and said I have a voice perfect for ballads. I used to have a vocal coach but my mom also didn t feel like taking me to those after a while and cancelled it. She wants me to focus on getting out of high school and getting a real job. She asked me why can't I be like other teenagers and focus on school. She took me to the voice audition last year and she was grouchy the whole time and she said it was a horrible experience and complete waste of time and she s still mad at me about it. My dad agrees with whatever my mom says and won t take me either. I have a fanbase and showed them and their like yeah that s nice. I also auditioned online for American idol a few weeks ago and got a callback for next month and it s 45 minutes away from home. I showed my mom and she said yeah I m not taking you to that. Singing is my life I am dedicated to it. I have songs planned out to sing. I have been rehearsing for years and it is a goal to at least audition for American idol. I tried to explain to my mom how singing is a career and important to me and she started yelling at me and didn t want to listen. I am an only child, and you need someone over 18 to go with you. I also don t have many friends and get bullied a lot. My grandma said she would take me but we need a ride down there and back. My mom also doesn t want to pay for the flight and hotel if I do make it. I told her there are tutors on set and she s like I am so sick of hearing about this, I don t care stop talking about it. Also, my mom grew up poor and had a rough life and horrible jobs so she thinks being a singer sugarcoats the real world.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• What a parasite you are - if you want to be a singer then support yourself and make it happen yourself. That's what everyone else has to do in life. Your mother does have a point - you have to be realistic about earning money to pay bills and buy food. Get a job, save up then go to college and learn about being a singer - or just talk to people you meet and make opportunities happen. But don't try to make other people support you - you have to make it happen for yourself and be something good/different.

What Guys Said 3

• Tell them what you feel and what your ambitions are. For example my father dissaproves of the idea of me studying medicine (he wants me to do law)... follow your dreams no matter what!

please answer my question: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1478569-bad-self-esteem-rate-me-guess-ethnicity

• Do not crave for cheap fame. Were singing your life, you would practice to hone your voice and vocal control, write your own music and create your own image. Seek a professional vocal trainer to help you do all that.

• It's also unfortunate that your mom doesn't want to take you to places, but you are a big girl, no?

• Have a sensible back up plan so they know you'll be alright if you don't make it.

What Girls Said 1

• You can't make them. Just do what you gotta do for you!