Am I a liberal or conservative? sorry its so long?

last year in my junior year oh high school i called myself a conservative but only because my teacher did not give me a very descriptive of the meaning or liberal and conservative he just said Conservatives like smaller government and will defend the constitution more Liberals like bigger government and are more flexible on interpretting the constitution and i called myself a conservative because i think our rights as individuals are more important than rights of society which i still believe. but when i took government in senior year my teacher gave a much more in depth definition of conservative and liberal then i started to question whether i was conservative or liberal

my liberal beliefs: I believe that gay marriage, marijuana, , euthanasia, and abortion should all be legal and we should tax the rich

my conservative beliefs: i also believe in the death penalty, i believe chris kyle did a hell of a lot more good than bad, i believe climate change is a phenomen that has yet to be proven, i believe in the second amendment, the government should get a search warrant to look through my phone calls or texts, while i don't hate obama i am not excited he is our president, my favorite president is Kennedy, i believe we should do something about ISIS instead of ignoring it because we have no excuse and we know it is going on (i can't even begin to tell you how much it pisses me off that ISIS is burning children alive while people in America are trying to decide if a dress if black/blue or white/gold), i dont believe the government should pay for my education in college, and that we should not be forced to have health care because if someone does not want a health care plan for themselves that should be okay we should not forced to do anything by the government

i kind of feel like i am a conservative because i believe our rights as individuals ar more important than our rights as a society and during a debate about the government reading our

Most Helpful Guy

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 11

• Well, first of all the whole "more government, less government" explanation sounds pretty shitty in my opinion. That sounds like a very biased description of a conservative teacher. So here a more accurate explanation: conservative means to "conserve" things (Latin: conservare). Conservatives are people who want to keep things the way they were in earlier days, for example when they were young. They do not like change. Progressives (or liberals as they are called in the US) are people who like change (progressere, latin: "to walk forward"). So gay marriage is a typically left/liberal issue because it means change. Death penalty is a typically right/conservative issue because it means keeping the punishments that were already used back in the 19th century.
    However, the whole thing is much more complicated than I could explain here. There are for example many people who are socially liberals but economically conservative or vice versa. There are also "believes" in your belief system that can't seriously be considered political in any way. For example your idea that climate change should be proven more. This is not a conservative opinion but simply an opinion based on a huge pile of ignorance. If you study climate change, you will find that it has already been proven back in the 1980s and since time and again. That's why in other countries such as most of Europe and also parts of Asia and South America, even stanch conservatives know about the dangers of climate change and believe we have to do something against it. The US is one of very few countries in the world and certainly the only first world country where this topic is actually still being debated. Also, you would have to tell me more about your believes considering the legalisation of euthanasia. When I hear this word, I personally think of the Nazi regime. Killing jews because they are "unworthy" is not exactly a liberal idea. Furthermore, believing that the government needs a search warrant to go through your phone is a deeply liberal, not a conservative belief. It is liberal who are worried about the collection and manipulation of data, not conservatives. That is also why it was mostly liberals who were shocked about the whole NSA debacle.
    In my opinion you are somebody who has some liberal and some conservative views (which is both fine) and some views that are just rubbish. You are still young, so it's ok to not know some stuff but I definitely advise you to study more. Especially on your own.

• My beliefs on euthanasia is this:when people are sick with a terrible disease they should be able to have two choices: roll over and die or keep fighting personally I will never want someone remotely close to me to use euthanasia because I will wonder for the rest of my life what if a miracle was supposed to happen? What if they could have been saved? And that would be a huge burden so if someone close to me wanted to do euthanasia I would try and talk them out of it.

• Okay, I see. First of all, please don't call that euthanasia. I don't know who taught you this but euthanasia is something very different. What you are talking about is called assisted suicide. There is also a distinction between active assisted suicide and passive assisted suicide. Active assisted suicide is currently only legal in two countries in the world, Switzerland and Belgium. In this type of assisted suicide, specially educated doctors and psychiatrists are allowed to offer to a person with a wish to die the aims to do so. In my home country Switzerland, this is usually done with a poison that is given to the patient to drink if he/she so chooses. In passive assisted suicide, doctors have the legal option to stop treating a patient who wishes to die and is not able to live without aid (for example machines). Now euthanasia is something VERY different. Euthanasia refers to the practice (e. g. Nazis) to kill human beings considered "unworthy life" (gay, handicapped, jews etc.)

• About the constitution: again, I don't know who told you this but the claim that conservatives defend the constitution more is simply bullshit. Sorry to be so harsh but that's what it is. Conservatives simply defend CERTAIN PARTS of the constitution, mainly those considered economically important or related to tradition. This is why they love the second amendment. The love to firearms is a myth and inherent part of American culture, but it is also a huuuuge business. Normal conservatives may love guns because they love the culture around them but the people you see on TV, the NRA, they love them for the money. Weapon industry is a huge business in the US, larger than the drug business. Now, what about the first amendment for example? The right of free speech? Have you heard of the McCarthy era? Or also more recent events such as the case of Professor Ward Churchill? It has always been conservatives who attempted to take away the right of free speech from people. Watch "Shouting Fire".

• conservatives, like to have things the way they were, they don't like change. they want to help the rich people and leave the biggest population, the middle and lower classes in the dust. they like regression when things have already been developed into something better, such as taking away funding for health care research or for scientific study. they like private health care where people have to pay out of their pocket to get a simple checkup and have to pay for major surgeries all by themselves. they would not legalize abortion or marijuana, or anything that might be radical. they pretend to help the people who struggle, but it is just for show, they don't actually help anyone, but those who vote for them.

I am from Canada, and this is a website about the majority elected shitty conservative government: there is so much wrong http://www.shd.ca/ I don't know if all of it is exactly accurate, I haven't looked through all the pages, but what i have read of it, it definitely is.

besides right now at your age, you are too young for a conservative government to help you, and unless you get a job where you make a ton of money or at least upper middle class, then there is no reason to vote for them.

• Here ya go.
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Do ze test, it doesn't take long.

• What politics like to refer to those terms is not really their true meanings.

To be liberal is to be open minded.
    To be conservative is to proceed with caution.
    Neither of these really apply to democrats and republicans as a whole.
    Two better terms to better understand each political viewpoint is are you a social liberal or a classic liberal?
    A social liberal is your democrats. They believe in freedom and opportunity instilled through the power and laws of a strong centralized government. With laws in place the field will be better equalized among everyone for equal opportunity.
    Classical liberals believe in unleashing the free market and allowing for ultimate freedom of capitalism to decide the success and opportunity. The assumption is with a loosely regulated market competition with lead to benefitting everyone.
    The reality is we all kind of fit somewhere in between the whole political spectrum and it's more than just left and right.

• I think you are best described as a social libertarian and a fiscal moderate, and overall a moderate, in other words between liberal and conservative on the American political spectrum.

• judt mature for yer age... i'd not b able 2 think that way... honestly :D

• Its great that you think for yourself and not be boxed in. No two sides are perfect. And therefore no one person fits in either side 100%. Given what you said I think you are moderate conservative.

• I'd say your an independent, or a centrist.

• Don't be labeled!

• You lean left mostly. Also no democrat/liberal wants a bigger government. That is a fallicy.

• Seems like you have more conservative beliefs than liberal ones, but I agree with some of the other posters. Stick with your own beliefs on each issue instead of letting yourself be labeled and letting the label determine your beliefs. There are too many people that do that.

What Girls Said 3

• Well really only you an determine what's more important. But remember that's gay marriage and abortions are rights of individuals as well that the Conservative party doesn't support. And if you stand with parties the support homophobia and antic house then your dying you saying you stand for these hate groups. It may seem like it doesn't really affect people, but it really does.
    Even if Isis isn't around there are still millionaires, no billionaires inter US that pay no taxes while a kid is starving, while a girl has acid thrown in her face for ping to school, and any other terrible things

• I would say you're definitely a liberal.

• you're liberal.