Any small buisness owners on gag what are you're secrets to success?

okay after over a year of planning i have managed to purchase a bar that will be up and running by this December now over the summer i will be tending bar to learn the tricks more i tended bar during college. now i am very stressed out by this move because it means i won't get to see my fiancee that often and i will be working longer hours and i will be under a lot of stress since 75% of all bars fail their first year and i live in nyc however i know its the right move and its going to take a lot of planning to do and it will be worth it and my fiancee is hoping to open up her own small buisness as well she wants to open up a beauty salon and i was wondering if there were any small buisness owners on this site that could give me some tips on how to run a small buisness my first year

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Guy

• A few things in general:

- Have a TIGHT accounting system - inventory after each shift, and review the figures every day. Today, there are programs that can easily email you a spreadsheet to your phone, etc.

- Understand that your employees are there to serve your customers and make you money. They are NOT your friends! You should be able to fire anyone at anytime if they become a negative to your business, so be cautious (at least!) about hiring friends or relatives. Instead, hire the BEST WORKERS.

- Treat your workers well, but set high standards for them from DAY 1 and enforce those standards fairly and across the board. Post sales/profit/etc. figures for employees regularly, just like a teacher posting mid-term grades.

- Keep the place CLEAN. You need to make a list of what needs to be clean, and EVERY employee needs to have an assigned cleaning task before they go home, and someone needs to check their work and sign off on it. Then YOU need to check it regularly, and if you find something that got missed, add it to the list. On Tuesdays, Bob cleans out the walk-in after close, and Cheryl cleans and bleaches all the beer drains, etc.

- Serve food - QUALITY bar food (no frozen products!) - and hold high standards for the kitchen.

- Pay to bring in experts to train your staff (or help you weed out the dead wood and find better staff) in any areas you aren't strong. Yes, it costs money, but in most cases, the resulting profit increases will pay for the expert's time in 1-2 months easily.

And, I'm totally serious here, watch every single episode of Bar Rescue. That show will give you a PhD on all the things that can go wrong with a bar and how to fix them, and along the way it gives you tips on important things that you might not know about. You will see that in failing bars, there is usually a lack of training and a lack of standards across the board.

0|0
    0|0
    • And find a copy of Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and read it. Then read it again. It's a quick, simple book that will teach you more about TRUE money and business realities than you will get from almost anywhere else. Successful people follow the lessons in the book even if they've never read it - either someone else teaches them or they figure out the lessons on their own, but why go at it the hard way? Read the damn book - it'll be the best $20 you ever spend.

What Girls Said 1

• Advertisements!

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• December sounds like a bad month to start a bar. Now is the season in NY for visitors and what are your plans for December. You have to have a good hook to pull clients in, so location to what and who are the potential clients? There is a lot of work that should have been done before the business was opened. If you open in December will you be paying a years worth of filing taxes for the whole year or just that last month of the year. There are a lot of issues which you need to address. The secret is knowing your market before you get out there. In that type of business, you buy the location, location, location and the rest will fall into place.

0|0
    0|0
  • i own a pizza restaurant 8)

0|0
    0|0
    • really any secrets to running the buisness

• i make unique combinations... like pizza wid squid and sausages 8)

• i think @kheserthorpe is your guy

0|0
    0|0
  • Hard work!

0|1
    0|0
  • Hey, don't be afraid of failure okay? They only strengthen you for what's to come is all I can say.

0|0
    0|0
  • for the philosophical aspect, check out tai lopez. how old are you by the way? just wondering

0|0
    0|0