This is something I'm saving up for and will pay for entirely by myself.
Tonight I was telling my parents about it and they got so worried and it caused a fight betweejn us. Now I feel bad for bringing it up because they're so stressed about it and my Dad made me think I shouldn't go at all.
Should I still do it, even though it'll cause my parents so much anxiety? I love them so much and I can't stand the thought of them not being able to sleep or something because they were too worried about me.
I can't find anyone to go with me.
Most Helpful Guy
First, I respect you immensely for considering your parents’ feelings. They have a great deal invested with you.
I hitchhiked around the country for 3 years when I was a kid in the early 1970’s. I saw America and learned a lot about living but I also had some harrowing experiences. I got into a car with two guys who looked like they just got out of prison and started asking me for money. Damn near broke my jaw running for a train in Little Rock, Arkansas. Went all the way from the East Coast to California barefoot and fasting because I only had $20 in my pocket and I wanted to save it for when I got to LA. The road can be a dangerous place, even for a guy.
However, what is life without adventure. You need to structure your trip so it is safe and does not give your parents heartache. Here are a few suggestions.
• Check the local colleges and ride boards for a group of people who might be going. Ask about arrangements for foreign exchange students or summer junkets
• Run an ad in the newspaper for another women and/or man who wants to go.
• Try to get to know the friends and family of anyone you intend to travel with. Most sociopaths are loners.
• Get a phone that will work in Europe and text/call your parents twice a day at the exact same time with your location, companions and activities. I know this sounds like a drag but it means you can’t go missing for more than 12 hours.
• Do not drink/drug as this makes you more vulnerable.
• Never be alone with strangers. Stay in well populated areas and always during daylight hours. If you go out at night, it should be with a group you know well.
• Avoid the former Soviet bloc. It is riddled with organized crime (including human trafficking).
Make every effort to plan a safe trip but, finally, I have to agree that it is a poor choice to go alone. There are just too many variables traveling along in foreign lands. I am an older man, in killer shape and a martial artist. I probably would not undertake the trip you are considering alone. I know too much now.1