I'm 24 and I want to backpack through Europe alone for 1.5 months?

This is something I'm saving up for and will pay for entirely by myself.

Tonight I was telling my parents about it and they got so worried and it caused a fight betweejn us. Now I feel bad for bringing it up because they're so stressed about it and my Dad made me think I shouldn't go at all.

Should I still do it, even though it'll cause my parents so much anxiety? I love them so much and I can't stand the thought of them not being able to sleep or something because they were too worried about me.

I can't find anyone to go with me.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• First, I respect you immensely for considering your parents’ feelings. They have a great deal invested with you.
    I hitchhiked around the country for 3 years when I was a kid in the early 1970’s. I saw America and learned a lot about living but I also had some harrowing experiences. I got into a car with two guys who looked like they just got out of prison and started asking me for money. Damn near broke my jaw running for a train in Little Rock, Arkansas. Went all the way from the East Coast to California barefoot and fasting because I only had $20 in my pocket and I wanted to save it for when I got to LA. The road can be a dangerous place, even for a guy.
    However, what is life without adventure. You need to structure your trip so it is safe and does not give your parents heartache. Here are a few suggestions.
    • Check the local colleges and ride boards for a group of people who might be going. Ask about arrangements for foreign exchange students or summer junkets
    • Run an ad in the newspaper for another women and/or man who wants to go.
    • Try to get to know the friends and family of anyone you intend to travel with. Most sociopaths are loners.
    • Get a phone that will work in Europe and text/call your parents twice a day at the exact same time with your location, companions and activities. I know this sounds like a drag but it means you can’t go missing for more than 12 hours.
    • Do not drink/drug as this makes you more vulnerable.
    • Never be alone with strangers. Stay in well populated areas and always during daylight hours. If you go out at night, it should be with a group you know well.
    • Avoid the former Soviet bloc. It is riddled with organized crime (including human trafficking).
    Make every effort to plan a safe trip but, finally, I have to agree that it is a poor choice to go alone. There are just too many variables traveling along in foreign lands. I am an older man, in killer shape and a martial artist. I probably would not undertake the trip you are considering alone. I know too much now.

What Guys Said 9

• If you have somebody to go with you would be great, but even if you go alone Europe is not some spooky place that you should be afraid of. You should just disregard your parents worries and go. My parents had the same worries when I moved to the States 15 years ago but they overcame them. And you are going only on a tour, I moved here to live. Just go and enjoy it. Old Europe is just beautiful.

Have fun.

• Naturally, they are worried. If you just leave the house one fine day without saying a word then they'll probably contact the police and can't sleep to boot. Either you convince them to see your way or you don't go. There is no reason for you to ruin your relationship with your parents.. some people don't even have parents.

• Being independent doesn't mean one is entitled to come and go as they please. Independence means the person has sense of responsibility and discipline to manage on their own.

Do not listen to these people who will tell you something like "just go, it's your life blablabla". It IS your life and all of your decisions have consequences. Keep that in mind.

• "I can't find anyone to go with me."

I'll go with you.

• try to find someone before you go. im sure that you will find someone, or look for people on the internet that can show you places in Europe . for instant an italian person when you're in italy or a Spanish person for when your in spain. or you can join group tours

• Be very careful when you are alone. Most people are friendly and welcoming to tourists, the others are trouble. If your plans are adjustable, you could tag onto a group you meet at a hostel or something.

• The pros far outweigh the cons here. This is your life and the experiences will aid your future, not theirs.

Make sure to check out couchsurfing, for a cheap way to get around.
    If you happen to come to Cyprus, make sure to contact me.

• Go for it!
    I'm leaving on the 24th, going to Europe . Will be visiting Ukraine, Germany and Dubai.

• Make the effort to find someone to go with you - for both your and their sake.

• No, please find someone that you can go with. That is a priority and your parents are right to be worried about you even if you're an adult.

What Girls Said 4

• I think you should go. Ultimately, this is your life, and that's an experience you'll be proud of when you're on your death bed. They might be worried but if you take every possible precaution risks will be minimized.

• I don't know if I would do that alone, I've heard stories of girls disappearing or ending up the in the sex trade hooked on drugs. I think your parents are right to be worried. Try to at least find a buddy, a girl in your college maybe.

• NO! NEVER backpack alone. Think of Iva Millat, all those "Hostel" movies. HUNDREDS of people go missing every damn year. NO NO NO!

• The key word is MOVIES in this suggestion. Hundreds of people go missing in the US every year, what is your opinion that?

• You'll regret not going in te long run 😉