If you have nothing to lose, does it mean that you can't be jealous?

Please keep in mind that the difference between envy and jealousy is that envy is the emotion of coveting what someone else has, while jealousy is the emotion related to fear that something you have will be taken away by someone else.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is right, but envy and jealousy can get very close together when there is lack of knowledge about what you have and what you do not have, what you should have and what you should not have.

when there is more similarity between the individuals in a group and people inside it fail to see the distinction and differences between themselves, there will be always jealousy.

usually people who are completely aware of themselves never get jealous but can get envious seeing the beauty, richness, quality of another person/creature/thing.

people who are not aware of themselves and more than that are confused about themselves can get jealous even in the situation of envy. they can turn envy into jealousy because even though something is not theirs to lose and feel threatened by the thought of losing it, they wrongly feel they have it or unreasonably think they should have had it. simply 1. because they are unaware of what they really have, 2. they see something and get envious 3. they lie to themselves about having or needing that thing 4. jealousy begins.

an example of envy and jealousy is between women and men and women and women. normal women who are aware of their femininity and qualities usually can be/are envious of men but they usually don't get jealous of men unless they are very confused about their femininity (that's a deeper level of confusion about self). But with other women they usually, if not always, have competition and can easily get jealous in those competitors.

and I said competition ---> competition is over something you think you should have and/or need. and the competitors have similar qualities. like a group of swimmers or runners. so it has all the factors for beginning jealousy.

now between women too those of them who are more concious and intelligent and their knowledge of their personal values is deeper are very less likely to get jealous of other women. Because even with all the similarities, they manage to see the distinction between themselves as an individual and others regardless of their sex.

and again that awareness is why women in general can be more jealous than men. not because they always have things being taken away from them but because generally women are less aware of themselves and what they have and what they truly want. and men (generally) are more aware. so we see women can get easily jealous over something they don't even need.

so I'd say...

• "If you are completely aware of all of your qualities and desires, or in other words all that you ‘have’ and ‘need’ you can’t possibly get jealous.”

And if you are completely aware of all of your innate qualities and needs you will also know “you can’t possibly lose” your innate qualities.

So you will have “nothing to lose”. And so yes, when you have nothing to lose you can’t get jealous.

But that feeling should come after self-awareness not carelessness about self. That is different.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Envy & Jealousy are both a very natural sentiment especially in humans.
    2. Neither of them immaterial of their definition & description has anything to do with 'nothing to lose'
    3. These aren't a shortcoming but a state of non realization
    4. Jealousy isn't something to do with something you have necessarily something one possesses and someone else can take it away, jealousy also arises out of you coveting something that is in someone else's possession :)

• Thank you again young friend for your ever thoughtful gesture of selecting my opinion the MH yet again :D your gestures encourage me to do better and better :)

What Girls Said 6

• Everyone has something, even if they don't realize it. When they become jealous, they realize it but can't enjoy it, ironically.

• Jealousy.. A feeling of lack and directing it at a person responsible for it.

We go through that as kids... I did.

I dont normally feel jealous because I know I'd need to keep working on my goals when a successful person reminds me that's where I would like to be, too one day.

I know people are still going to be jealous about someone's hot partner, good looks, nice house, their jobs, stress free life, money, Kim kardashian... etc. Man these people haven't matured and learn to be inspired by it but down spiralled by it. These people are forever emotionally stunt.

• I don't get jealous of other people because I believe God determines my destiny and what other people have or don't have does not affect what I will have or do not have.

• I think a little differently on the definitions. Envy to me is desiring what someone else has to the point of wanting it to become yours. Like "I want his girl"
    Whereas jealously to me is more akin to begrudging someone else what they have. Like "why does he always get the girl?"

• I guess so.

• You can still be jealous even if you know you have nothing to lose. I think its normal, something we can't control sometimes. No matter how someone assure us or even if we know to ourselves that there's nothing to be jealous about, we still feel that fear coz anything is possible. Everyone can be rob of anything when you least expect it, so we always tend to have that fear ^.^

What Guys Said 4

• In that scenario, then yes there will be no jealousy. But I doubt there is such a thing as someone who has NOTHING to lose. Everyone on this planet is attached to something whether it a person, an animal or a thing.

• Literally on those strict definitions you are correct the "jealous" emotion people are talking about is actually that they "covet" a certain situation.

• If that's your definition of jealousy, logic would say you're right. I personally reject your definition of jealousy. You can be jealous of what someone else has in my view.

• envy = good
    jealousy = bad

that's wot believe