Are Americans and their restaurant industries really this greedy and retarded?

This FB post is whining about how shitty wait staffs salaries are and whine about not being tipped good enough and attack the customers. I can understand that wait staffs struggle a lot with their personal lives but they should never take their own problems on on the customers by shoving their little whining and stories down their throats. Everyone has a fair share of their own personal problems that we should only keep to ourselves.

If anything, they should attack their bosses and all of the greedy American restaurant industries for the shitty pay. American military service members probably get paid shittier than wait staffs yet they do MUCH MORE rigorous work than them and you never hear our veterans bitch to non-military members about not being paid good enough after being discharged. Are Americans really this self-entitled to more money?

Facebook Post about poor tippers

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Tips were originally intended to be a reflection of the quality of the service. However, everyone seems to feel entitled/dependent these days. My personal view is that good service deserves a good tip, and bad service doesn't.

Watch this:

http://youtu.be/Z-qV9wVGb38

• Exactly!

• I look at it like this. My favorite pitcher in Major League Baseball was Randy Johnson and he was one of the best pitchers of all time. However, I remember a game where he had allowed nine runs in three innings. He gave a BAD performance. Does this mean his contract deserved to be terminated? No, because it was just a bad game.

Same here. What if the server just had a bad day and it happened to be the day you went? Now I can understand not tipping if the server didn't even try or was goofing off, but if the server was just struggling or having a bad day, you should tip them. If not, you're a greedy, selfish scumbag.

• Where in my comments did I say I don't tip if the service is bad? I tip less if the service is bad. Better service = high tip, as it should be.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't really understand why America can't just raise their minimum wage to a liveable level to get rid of this social minefield of tipping. Tipping should be optional and not expected because the server needs it to live on.

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, we are greedy and quite "retarded", however, restaurant customers are also greedy and stupid. Thankfully, I've never been a waiter.

All in all, I agree with you: People should be more angry at the restaurant owners or bosses. They are the ones in charge of their meager wage. However, with that being said, since most people know these servers are not being paid well, the LEAST you can do is tip them and try to help them out. Many servers RELY on their tips.

And of course, it's not just servers who are facing a low-wage problem. Many people who aren't tipped still can't survive on a pathetic minimum wage. The United States is a joke, yet, we claim to be the "greatest" country in the world.

• Americans have over the past 20 years or so been brainwashed into believing that the world owes them just because they exist. It's a generational thing and only promises to get worse as time goes on.

• You're right, it's a generational thing. The OLDER generation seems to think people owe them something (and I never stick up for my age group.)

Although I will say, what relevance was your answer here? You didn't answer the question, nor did it have anything to do with the question at all.

• Saying "the older generation went through life and built us this world" is a flawed argument, because they have LIVED LONGER THAN US! In 30 years, we can say "we built this world for the current generation" and the pattern can repeat itself.

They didn't "earn" retirement, they were fortunate enough to have retirement, which is something not many people in our generation will be able to have.

I don't think our generation wants everything handed to them. After all, we're attending college in record numbers, we are the generation which is the most likely to have multiple jobs, and we actually work longer hours than other generations (we learned this in a class.) So, we' expect everything handed to us, yet, we're the main generation attending college, working long hours between are multiple jobs? That doesn't make any sense, and as a matter of fact, it's the POLAR opposite. And unless someone gives exceptionally poor service, you should tip them. They DEPEND on these tips.

• *our multiple jobs

Sorry for the misuse.

• If you aren't tipping 15% AT LEAST, then you are a selfish fuck, a cheap bastard, or poor yourself and shouldn't be going out to eat.

Waiters work for tips.

• Then, go tip the military service members, who do much more work than wait staffs and probably get paid shittier than them. Remember that military veterans don't always benefit from the GI Bills.

• @Metlahead: His comment obviously wasn't even directed at you.

• @Asker Our taxes pay for the military and they get so many benefits, it's not even funny. They can go to college for free off of the GI Bill. And I'm against war, so I don't support our troops when it comes to war.

• tippin is optional no?

• Either tip them or pay twice the price for a meal and let the owner pay them a better salary. What does it matter, either way you're going to pay.

• I wish we could rid of tipping. I am willing to pay $13 on a $10 meal.

• I don't mind tipping if my service was actually great. I just don't want the tipping and the wait staff's personal problems and their constant bitching shoved down my throat.

• @Metlahead In an ideal world it would go into the paychecks of the workers.

• Unfortunately the overhead cost to run a restaurant doesn't allow for that, and the greediness of the OWNERS would never let them justify pay increase to their staff.

• I tip well. Many do. Some do not and you can guess who as it isn't a well kept secret.

If the waitstaff want more money they need to do more for society than bring a plate over, ask you if you want a refill and then a check.

Since 'you know who' will never tip well though, I would expect the servers to be paid more and tipping to disappear (although the waitstaff will expect both).