Should a glaucoma suspect start using eye drops?

So I don't have glaucoma yet, but I'm a glaucoma suspect. I don't want any vision loss. I used drops for several months due to a misdiagnosis but in February the doctor (another one) said treatment was not needed yet. But I ddon't want to take risks and lose any part of my vision. Should I begin drops?

Most Helpful Guy

• Doctors wondered about me for years. Most of the indicators said I had glaucoma, but when they considered in the thickness of my cornea, it changed the results to at risk rather than actually having it. then the one doctor retired and another doctor with the same practice took over and said the I did have it. Now realize, it had been several years and there was no change in the indicators AND no loss of vision. the new doctor put me on drops. They tried different drops and found the most effective were also the more expensive.

Also consider that there are at least two types: open shutter and closed shutter. With the closed shutter there are risks from other medications, though I think they are mainly the ones for male performance (Viagra) which you would not be concerned with, but some you may be. So whatever decision is made about drops now, find out which type you have (or are close to) and let your primary care doc know that for guidance in prescribing other meds.

I have had my condition for many many years and there has been some loss of vision (minimal) but I am not even sure it is the glaucoma that caused it.

I suspect your differing diagnoses were due to interpretation of the risk factors, the same as mine was. Talk to your doctor about the closed shutter thing, which drops work for you, and what exactly the reason for deciding you are not needing the drops now. then make your decisions (that the doctor will go along with and prescribe for).

What Guys Said 5

• Its something you need to talk to your doctor about. This is not the site to be asking medical advice about your health, because it can cause you more problems.

If its something about relationships, then this is the place for help. Sorry to sound patronizing, its making it clear to you.

• G@G is not the place for such a question.
    This is why we have ophthalmologists.
    Consult with one ASAP.

• better... it might help u i gues... it's not expensive as well :)

• Ask your doctor.

• A suspect? lol. Follow the doctors advice, not fucking GaGers with no medical training.

What Girls Said 3

• If the second doctor said that treatment is not needed, then I think you should listen to them rather than getting advice from random people online who don't know anything about eye health or your particular case. In my opinion though, if you don't actually have glaucoma then I see no reason to start using eye drops.

• Talk to your doctor. Sometimes you can make a health issue worse by starting an unnecessary treatment.

• i think you should.