Eye contact problems/shy problems, can you please help me?

i am EXTREMELEY shy, and i can't eye contact, with anyone not even my parents or siblings or friends, relatives... etc what can i do about this? i learned a couple of tricks that would fool the person i am talking to, to think that i am eye contacting when i am not, such as looking at their nose... etc but my mom is saying this isn't a solution , and i must stop this, but i tried , and i can't, any ideas on what i can do?

thank you all :) <3

Most Helpful Guy

• Eye contact starts to feel more natural as you get more comfortable with people in other ways. If you want to kickstart it, though, try talking about this with a family member and having them help you by having a face-to-face conversation. Take it slow and easy--have them smile a lot and talk about pleasant things, and avoid doing anything to intimidate you. Once you can make a little eye contact with them, try adding a little more. Don't jump straight to trying to look at complete strangers in the eye--even not-terribly-shy people have trouble with that sometimes. You'll get to that eventually.

For what it's worth, most people don't make perfect eye contact. You'll probably spend most of your time (when you've become comfortable) looking in one eye or the other, or in the space between eyes.

What Guys Said 4

• start then wid da person u feel more comfortable ;)

• im no doctor but perhaps try talking to yourself in the mirror looking at your own eyes and it might be something that sounds silly but could help?

• I had a lot of trouble with it when I was depressed. Not saying you are, but how is your self-esteem? Mine used to be terrible!

• have staring contest with your friends and siblings first to blink loses lol its fun and it will get you in the habit of looking into peoples eyes more often Good Luck.

What Girls Said 4

• A lot of people can't share eye contact with another person, when I talk to teachers they always look me in the eye and never look away so it gets awkward, you have to learn to stare into their eyes then focus on something else at sometimes, normally eye contact won't take so long anyways, most people are just as shy about it as you, so they'll look away too, and if they aren't then it doesn't matter that you share eye contact with them because they don't care. But, no one is gonna be like "Oh, she's staring into my eyes, Creepy!" or "She's looking right at my eyes, is she into me?"
    Its totally normal and polite, practice with friends and parents over even yourself in the mirror.

• You need to force yourself to make eye contact. I know it's uncomfortable, but make yourself do it.

• it's just how you are!

• It's because you're uncomfortable with it and as long as you are you won't be able to do so. Think about what your thoughts are while looking someone in the eyes. I used to have the same problem but when I got more confident in myself it wasn't really a problem anymore. Maybe you are feeling insecure?