Do you feel bad about beating female characters in video games?

Any game from old to new. I've been playing a fan made game Streets of Rage Remake and it brings back memories of the genesis games. There are a lot of girls to beat up there. Nowadays you just shoot em, stab em, or burn them with magic or some shit.

• Yes
  • Nah, fuck those bitches 😈

Most Helpful Guy

• Eh. Depends on the game and what they're saying about it, or what you're doing with them.

I'm not into GTA where you beat down hookers or whatever. Not so much its violence on women (that's a part of it, maybe, but I get it's a game), but the game in general just isn't my type of thing.

I like something more where it's an interesting take on a woman. It's ok if they're sexualized on occasion; I don't get mad about it at this stage in my life. If I played more games, and had small kids, or all girls, I'd probably be more concerned. But I'm good if they're just cool characters. Samus in Metroid. Chell in Portal. Cortana in Halo. Elizabeth, Rosalind Lutece, Daisy Fitzroy in Bioshock Infinite. Yes, some are sexualized at points, and yes, some can be seen as "the assistants" to the male protagonist (I don't see that as a horrible thing), but these games still have an interesting take on them; and I'd argue most of these characters have a lot of power, even if it's seen sometimes as "subtle."

I think if people want to change the focus to less sexualized female characters, you have to make more options in games (and female characters), and make the games fun.

I'm at the age where many of the boys my age were STUNNED when the original Metroid came out and there was that "HUGE twist" at the end; Being 6, or 7, we'd laugh about how we just played AS A GIRL... Then we got over it, and many guys (now grown up) still play Metroid games because Samus is just COOL.

What Girls Said 5

• Haha not at all xD

• Being a girl, it doesn't bother me at all. If that female character poses a threat to me in the game or deserves a beat down, she's gonna get it. The only time I feel bad about hurting any sex or gender in a video game is when I don't think they deserve it.

• Lol no. That sounds bad but it's just part of the game.

• Nah, faq those mitchs. They shouldn't be in the game if thy can't handle.

• Fuck them.

What Guys Said 14

• no lol.

...

• Why would I feel bad for beating up pixels?
    Nah, I never feel bad when I have to beat a female character, it's just a game.

• The girls in the games who you beat up are meant to be bad so they deserve it.

However, games like GTA where you can just go and light innocent women on fire... That's still fun too, its just a game and you can do it to the guys too.

• They're in my way, I need the XP, and honestly, after Aerith died in FF7, I cannot muster up enough investment in a game to grow that attached to characters in a videogame.

• This is HIGHLY relevant, OP please watch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8-EtkldKc

• Equal ass kicking!

• Nope. Why feel bad?

• no, must of them are trying to kill you anyway

• Not at all

• hell no... killing virtual females is fun.

• not not really i know its not real and its a fictional medium made for entertainment

• not really.

• I usually play with female characters in figthing games :P

• Just as much as guy characters. But I don't play that type of game