I went to the bank and tried to deposit some money and they asked me for id ( unusual) and kept my card and told me to go get a proof of address?

Do you know what it might be? I'm scared to go back I asked him what's up "there are some blocks in your account I need to phone somebody" he said.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dude how much money were you depositing?
    Large sums of cash at infrequent periods can trigger AML, anti money laundering protocol. Frequently that's why you need proof of address and corroborating id. There's some massive federal laws that came into effect some years ago.

They could have had breached security, but I've never experienced that with a deposit. Typically with spending etc...

I once deposited $130,000 cash to bank and asking for a cashiers check. I had to complete AML protocol and file forms with DHS and/or DOJ. Trust me banking is not like TV. Getting angry, rude and hostile will only escalate it. Calmly ask for an explanation or if you can discuss it elsewhere.

Big transactions are normally done ACH (electronically). Going in with cash and asking for a check or deposit can get a lot of attention.

What Girls Said 2

• it's your money. You should go there and see what's wrong. Sometimes banks get paranoid about secutity. They have asked me a photocopy of my police identity, of my taxes, an official paper with my adress on it, and a paper from my uni that proves I'm a student.. Though, bureocracy is thriving in Greece

• identity theft maybe?

What Guys Said 6

• It can be a ton of different things, ranging from a glitch in the system to some suspicious transactions on your account. If you want to know what's up, just ask them. You have every right to know (it is your account) and it isn't illegal to ask.

Just go there and ask what's up. They won't think it is weird or anything.

• Sounds like there was suspicious activity on your account and they want to check it out - Could have been an attempted hack

• huh... was this guy new there?

• They are guilty of theft and fraud. Contact your local FBI field office immediately. May sound crazy, but the worst they can do is refuse to investigate. I wouldn't suggest this for anyone else, but I've been known to camp out at my own bank with lunch until they did what I had legitimately asked them to do for me as a customer.

• Maybe they think you are laundering money.

• Are you sure this was a real bank?