A 17yo girl was forced to marry a married man 30 years older, what are your thoughts on it?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wedding-millennium-involved-17-old-213807305.html

If you don't know about it, just read the article and tell me what do you think about it. Do you think it is ok or not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure, it's bad. Especially since that sounds more like kidnapping/enslavement.

Look stateside though, and here we believe in rape victims being forced to make payments to their rapists.

www.usatoday.com/.../

articles.chicagotribune.com/.../9612220045_1_pay-child-support-child-support-behalf

• He actually threatened to kidnap her if she didn't agree.

• Plenty of people are cruel. That's life. Hence why the power to destroy is the most important power there is--if you can't fight or kill, you'll be at the mercy of someone who can and will. Such as this girl and her friends.

• Sadly, I think you are very right...

What Guys Said 10

• It's disturbing i think Russia needs a new Leader for their country no offense
    but what Government of any country would allow this to happen and i feel bad
    for the girl and this is why I'm so glad to live in America where i don't have
    to be forced to do something such as this that is deemed illegal and so so
    horrible i feel so bad for the girl.

• That's what I don't understand, as someone else said, Russia wants to be respected and all, but when you find out middle ages things still happen there, there's clearly still a lot to do before it's respectable

• I totally agree with you, but I guess they have another mentality than in the US, so they probably don't see it the way we do

Anyway, I'm sad for that girl, have you seen the video of her wedding? She looks so petrified and sad while her husband seems happy

• Yeah I'm going check out the video now
      but i do agree with you :-)

• this guy should b arrested then

• Marriage is by God, not man, so she's not really married. If I were her parents I would tell her to run away with her boyfriend and not worry about us parents, we'll die eventually anyways, old age, car crash or whatever.

• It's one generous act that her parents should do, though I doubt she has any place to go since the man is a powerful character of there

• I hope you are right

• To much stuff is happening today all over the world for it to not be true and it won't just be russian leaders go go the way of the dinosaur.

• Obviously I am quite disturbed by it surely authorities have some sort of say as it must be a crime.

• Authorities are with this man sadly

• lol the dude in this pic looks more like 50 to be honest xD either way it´s damn creepy...

• Some sources say he is 57 but he claims to be 46, I'm sure he is lying, as he probably believes making people think he is 11 years younger makes it more acceptable

• nope XD it would even be creepy if he was another 10 years younger.

• I agree with you

• Wrong and disgusting.

• You described it perfectly

• Hell yea I did. A 17 year old is still a child. What is a guy almost 50 doing with her? Should be arrested. And no one should be forced to marry. I call it a mutual choice.

• Probably looking for some young body because his other wife might be old and bad looking

A marriage should always be an act of mutual choice and love. I thought it was like this everywhere, that forced marriages were prohibited and seen as unacceptable by everyone though I found out some people live in a total other world...

• Sounds like it's a society that places little to no value on females of any age.

• Polygamy, non-consensual marriage, and marriage to a minor are all evils of the world.

• Definitely not okay. Especially since that girl doesn't look happy at all. Heck, she looks like she'll break down crying. Arrest that man and free that woman. She'll get to be with who she wants and he'll find out what it means to be forced into something he doesn't wanna be in.

• But the man's a police officer, he has the power and a lot of people are supporting him. He threatened her family. That's incredible such things still happen nowadays

• ... Now that's just sick...

• Indeed

• The age difference makes it worse I suppose but still, nobody should be forced into marriage, nobody!

• I totally agree with you on this

• If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe like that, I'd have to move somewhere else.

• Definitely, better live in the western world than there

What Girls Said 6

• It's not okay!

• Russia wants to be respected as a world power but then they do things like this that show it's a horribly archaic place still.

• I think that story definitely shows that side of Russia

• IF she had been okay with it, whatever. But since she was clearly not, it's appalling.

• The "man" threatened her family, and also planned on kidnapping her if she didn't want to get married with him. Some people still live in Middle Ages

• He's probably so coldhearted that he hasn't even considered her feelings. Or maybe he's one of those sickos that gets off on her fear and misery.

• Probably a bit of both
      Anyway I really hope some powerful organization or authority is going to do something to save that girl, though I really doubt it

Watching the video of her wedding I felt so bad for her, she seemed so terrified that she was petrified, while her husband was showing everyone his hapiness... Disgusting

• I don't think it's okay.

• That's crazy he should be killed he's obviously a pervert

• I'm glad I'm not living in medieval Russia. That guy is a total joke.

• I'm glad too, however this girl has no choice

• Yuck. I can't stand Russians and their annoying accent.

• That's terrible...