Why does ageism primarily affect women and not men?

I am NOT just talking about how women supposedly age worse physically and in the world of dating. I'm talking about ageism in different contexts, like job promotion, and 'shelf life' for actresses and tv presenters.

Most Helpful Girl

• When men are older, they tend to be percieved as being high in wisdom

• (accidentally clicked post)

.. in their older ages, their status and prestige increases as they get older, as well as their wealth. Whereas for women, most of our worth is placed on our appearance, so once we approach our 30s and our looks decline, so does our worth. Men are overall valued more intellectually, so growing old and wise increases their favouribility, and for women their worth is dimished due to loss of physical attractiveness. That's how I see it anyway.

• sorry i replied before i saw your added points. i completely agree.

• Lol that's okay. Thanks for the MHO :)

What Guys Said 9

• I agree with your point it goes back to the double standard that women are judged on their looks.

• finally someone who is honest! thank you, sir

• it affects women more because women are valued by society largely for their looks, while men are largely valued by society for their utility value. Looks fade rapidly with age, whereas utility value increases as you gain more experience in your field of work, until tipping off when you get much too old to do anything anymore. But the age thing hurts a lot of women by the time they get into their mid 30's

• do you think there is anything that can be done to change this?

• i find it so frustrating :( i will always be valued more for how i look than what i say or do

• it won't be always, and it won't be everywhere. If you live in a western country like the USA, there's a good chance that you'll be in a job where you are needed for the skills you bring to the table, and with a guy who likes you for both your looks and personality-traits.

• Ageism is irrational discrimination on the basis of age. I don't think ageism affects any people much, apart from young adults.

• how can ageism affect young adults?

and it does affect people e. g. www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...icially-ends-at-45.html

• no the gender pay gap is based on the same jobs actually.

• No, it isn't.

• What do you mean specifically? The way I see it teenage males are more likely to be suspected of juvenile and criminal behavior who have no respect for anything by prejudiced adults. And older men hitting on younger women are more likely to be creep shamed instead of an older woman hitting on a younger man.

• ha! u think so!!

seen many 50 yo guys who look like 70 ;)

• Because it doesn't exist and the women it "effects" are just complaining pointlessly

• it doesn't EXIST? bold statement. would help if you became a little more educated about the topic before spouting nonsense

• I don't need to be educated on peoples label and excuse to whine about not getting what they want. Everyone is young at some point and gets older, racISM sexISM both effect things you can't change. Your age changes. Yeah I admit that some people do get treated like they are their age and get mad about that

• It doesn't primarily affect women. Older men are portrayed as the alpha males in society. Since I am not older I am portrayed as young, in experienced, and naive. Women typically won't date younger. Women typically tend to want older men. As a result, older men want younger women.

• so how does that answer my question? you said older men are portrayed as alpha male... so you agree that they don't suffer from ageism?

• i would say let's do something about it, but you clearly see yourself as the victim here so i can't do anything to change your mindset

• I can say the same for you. So you date younger men and I will date older women.

• Because men are still physically desirable with older age. Women? Not so much.

• i don't mean in dating, i mean in all walks of life

• I think above all that just demonstrates that men are visual pigs

• Whoa! So just like that? Half the population is "visual pig" because it gives preference to attractive women? You sound extremely naive on this. This is nothing new. This is just reality. It's the way the world has always worked and always will. And takes both men and women. You women use this every day to your advantage! If we are pigs, what does that make you?

• Cause women age like milk and men age like winr

What Girls Said 2

• That's not ageism. More sexism

• It affects both.

• women are far more affected by it