My father used to abuse me and my brothers and mother, should I keep in contact with him when I move out?

My father used to physically and emotionally abuse me and my brothers and my mother. My mother is dead of cancer and he used to laugh at her when she was having treatments. Should I have contact with my father at all?
He uses people up, spits them out and is such a disturbingly wicked person. He was trying to get with a woman just two weeks after my mother died.
Should I have anything to do with him? Yes or no?

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I think that life is too short to keep people who are toxic and abusive to you around.

It's a myth that you owe it to people to keep them in your life just because they're family. Your family can be whoever you want it to be, and sometimes you have to cut people out of your life because your own well-being is more important than maintaining that relationship.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, I've had an abusive past too with my father, that's why I'm living on my own now and I'm only 17, and I don't keep in contact with him at all.

So, my answer is don't keep in contact with him, cause there's no good reason to.

• You are right on. I do hope you are OK. You can recover from the scars of the past, I have and am continuing to recover. So can you.

• All I can say is, you need to be strong and do what's best to keep you safe and your brothers. That's what I did, I made a plan to get out of it and I stuck to it, I know it's hard and it is easier said than done but it can be done. You have to believe in yourself even though at some points you want to give up. I'm glad that you're recovering and I hope you continue to.

I'm not really going to explain my situation with my past as I don't feel comfortable to, but I understand how you feel.

• You do not have to do anything you do not want to. I share my story to help others recover. If I can do it, anybody can.

• no fuck him.

What Guys Said 3

• Why would you want contact with someone who only cares about himself? Live your life without him in it because you are better off that way.

• I would say no

• I wouldn't