Construction savvy people: why would someone build a wall on top of another wall?

I'm in a room with a fist sized hole in the wall, that when I looked inside of it discovered there's another wall behind it. what's the point?

I couldn't find an explaination on google.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah.. I do civil engineering.. That's just called a cavity wall. As you know, air is a good insulator but usually there is a 'filling' between the two walls for better insulation but in your cases there isn't so I guess that's just an empty cavity.. So the purpose of that is for better retention of heat.

What Guys Said 5

• The first idea that comes to mind is that the mob is hiding a body there. What sort of building is the room in? How much distance is there between the two walls?

• Well are you in a house or apartment? Is the other wall cement black. How big of a gap is there? For instance its a basement and the owners wanted drywall around the outside instead of grey cement blocks.

• In my maternal grandma's old house she rented there was a
    window inside a wall and it was closed in on the other side of
    the window was a cupboard that led to the other house really
    amazing how some older houses/ apartments are made.

• creativity ;)

ever played wid LEGO?

• Probably built around it so they wouldn't have to remake structural points.

What Girls Said 1

• it makes no sense...