When to get a kid there first phone?

whats a good age to your kid a phone or maybe for some of the younger people how old were you when you got a phone?

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom started me out with an old janky cell around 10 just because I was going out of town and she wanted to keep in contact with me. It did the bare minimum--call, text. Upgraded me to a slightly better one a couple of years later, which I still have and use. I don't do anything but text and take pictures so I don't feel a need for anything fancy.

What I think is ridiculous is when I see 10 year olds running around with $600 smart phones, I mean like seriously, do you as a parent seriously have NOTHING else to spend your money on?

What Guys Said 7

• I got my first phone when I was around 11 years old. My opinion is that phones are almost a necessity these days in case of emergencies so the earlier the better, probably around 10. Just one of those cheap phones that are pretty much used for calls and text, and preferably a prepaid sim to limit call usage. Don't get a fancy one they can easily get distracted with games on.

• i was 6-7 or so

• Its best to give them a phone when you think they have the independence to go out and look after themselves.

• I would say age 16 but no younger than age 13

Unless the parent plans to have strict supervision

• I say middle school, maybe 5th or 6th grade, but definitely middle school. We don't need any more spoiled 4th graders.

• I don't think a kid "needs" their own phone until they are at least in high school.
    I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 35.

• In this day and age pro 8 years old but no internet

What Girls Said 9

• I was 13 when I first got mine. My parents said that if I could buy my own phone, they would pay for the line =]

• I got mins when I was in 3rd grade!

• I got mine at age 7 or so. I had a Siemens with not even a colour screen, but it had an awesome ringtone. My first smartphone was when I was 13 years old. I had the Samsung Omnia I and it was one of the first phones with wifi lol.
    Anyways, sorry about the nostalgic babbling. I would say age 12.

• I was 10 or 11 but keep in mind this was an old flip nokia that had no texting and a My5 plan. I had it so I could go to the park and call my mom to pick me up from musical practices.

• It depends I had this phone in like 4th grade that had about very little minutes on it because I had to walk from bus stop to my house (and vise verca in the morning) and it was really far away so they made sure I was safe

• It depends on the child's life. Like for example the child gets on the bus/train/sub by him/herself he/she needs a phone

• I had mine at 11. It is always good for a kid to have one for emergency purposes especially.

• Mine was 10/11 but it was only one of those brick nokia type ones

• I got my phone when I was 12, because that's when I starting going out with my friends and my parents wanted to reach me whenever and wherever. seeing like 7 years olds with cell phones makes me question their parents parenting methods.