Do you think its a big deal for a woman to keep her maiden name?

I looked it up and apparently some people dont like the idea of a woman keeping her maiden name, but I dont see the big deal. What do you think?

Updates:
I mean I know its a traditional thing, but if it the roles were switched and the tradition was that guys had to change there last names, I still won't think its a big deal. I just dont understand why its important to change your last name.

1|0
3|6

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's that important, as long as the child doesn't get a hyphenated last name.

It would annoy me if she was pushy about it, saying out of the blue, for instance, "Just so you know, I am NOT taking your last name." I would be perfectly willing to accept if she simply started by saying, "I'd like to talk to you, I like my last name and would like to keep it."

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• she should... y she should take her husband's name?

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care since in my culture they keep it regardless

0|0
    0|0
  • Its fine... what wrong with it...

0|0
    0|0
  • It tells me she has an entitlement problem and a chip on her shoulder. Honestly the first thing that comes to mind when I see a hyphen in a married couples last name is difficult woman and probable divorce in the future.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd never marry a girl who wouldn't change her name

0|1
    0|0
    • Why?

• I see it as the female equivalent to an engagement ring.

• Not every girl wants a engagement ring, but I see your point.

What Girls Said 3

• My mom still uses her maiden name although she is married.
    In a sense, I see it as a way of not getting rid of your identity and trying to stay attached with who you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a big deal.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess it's just tradition to change it. I personally plan to change mine, but my half sister did not change hers so it's personal preference.

0|0
    0|0