Box Dye Fail- Hair Turned Jet Black?

So I've always maintained Butterscotch/ Light Golden Brown hair. But with Uni coming up I thought I could cut costs by using box dye- I was aiming for a rich Chocolate Brown but I guess I kept it on too long because now my hair is Squid Ink Black!!! (my hair is naturally Dark Brown, not Jet Black) Would it be okay to go to the salon tomorrow for brown highlights? Or would going to the salon so soon damage my hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• Box hair dye is the worst shit out there. Going to the salon that soon would be risky for your hair, and yes it would damage it since every time you get your hair colored you are causing some type of damage. You would probably need to get a professional deep conditioning treatment too.

If you're going to dye your hair yourself, don't use drugstore dye whatever you do, try the stuff at Sally's instead since it is better quality.

• thanks for the advice!! :)

• alright man. Thanks so much! Your advice is super duper helpful :) you have a great day!

• No problem. You do the same. :) Take care of your hair.

What Guys Said 3

What Girls Said 5

• You can go, it's fine.

• I'd totally disagree with your mho, I've used dye on bleach and then dyed again. Never once thought my hair would fall out. I've dyed my hair many times with box dyes and even had people who do it for a living think it was a salon job. You just have to be good at it. Go to a salon and they will help you. No need to wait more than a month to get it sorted.

• so I bring the box dye to the salon?

• oh alrighty- thanks for the great advice! I really wish I could make you my MHO.

again, thanks so much!!! :)

• It's fine, I can live without the mho :)

• i went to beauty school. i would suggest not going in and dying it that quickly. usually you wait 8 weeks to dye again. i wash my hair with hot water a few times a day until the color fades. try that. and next time don't use box color. its sooooo bad for your hair

• Using box-dye alone damaged your hair. Dude, stay away from the box dye or you'll end up with thinning hair. I should knowww.

It will fade into your natural hair color, give it a little while. Whenever I wanna go back to my natural hair color (which is a dark brown as well) I dye it a brown/black which usually ends up black, and it fades effortlessly into my natural color.

• what do you mean it fades into your natural hair color? Like the color doesn't look cartoonish or something?

• No, like, it'll be your natural hair color without the hassle of roots showing or anything.

• Going to the salon would be just fine! I dye my hair all the time, (only the tips usually) and I know going to a salon is 100% okay after you die your hair! You could also use hair bleech for a very short time to lighten the color!