Why do people think that moving to hipster towns will improve their lives?

I've never understood why young people are so eager to move to hipster cities like Portland or Austin. Do these people really believe that just because a city was on some top ten list that moving there will markedly improve their lives? The reality is that if your life sucks in a less hip town, it's probably going to suck just as much (if not more) in a hipster town. If you have no job, no money, and no love life, that's not going to change just because you moved to a place with media cachet.

Most Helpful Guy

• I moved to Austin for college, and I don't see anything special about the place. I just see a lot of self-conscious douchebags with daddy's money trying to make themselves out to be something more than what they are. So, so many posers.

What Girls Said 1

• it really doesn't lol.

What Guys Said 5

• It is the grass is always greener syndrome.

• There is certainly truth to the thought that improving the people around you will improve you as well. That is where the reality of the "law of attraction" comes into play, it is not some whimsical spiritual truth, it is simply physics and biology.

• See, you post a bitter hateful comment and get bitter hateful responses, law of attraction at work! Lol, I didn't say I like hipsters, though I much prefer them over gangsters and gym rats.

• Since when a town 's defined "hipster"?

• Well, in my original country, a lot of people doing this just because they think they can be better and ofcours make some more money !
    But they don't know that they have to spend more too :D
    BUT they are some people who has some idea or plan :)

• All I know is, I hate hipsters. Dickheads...

https://youtu.be/lVmmYMwFj1I