Is tipping forced?

What do they do if you have a somewhat expensive meal (like $50-$100) and don't leave tip? Not let you out?

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's a tip: "Don't force me to do some thing you feel I am obligated to do. I will tip based on service level. Bad service equals no tip"

Can't say I didn't give a tip though !

What Guys Said 10

• Well, tipping culture around the world is vastly different. In Europe , there is a big contrast between north and south. Typically, the rule is: the more north you go, the more you should tip (so in countries like Italy or Spain it is okay to give about 5%, in central Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc.) it should be around 10% and in northern Europe such as Scandinavia it should be at least 15%). There are also countries in the world where you are strongly advised NOT to tip because it is considered offensive. In Korea, where my girlfriend comes from (or also in Japan), servers get pissed at you if you tip them. In those countries, tipping is interpreted by your servers as you treating them like homeless beggars who need some change.
    Now, America is also a special place because it is the only country where there is a very strong social contract to tip (in Europe it's still okay not to do so occasionally). This has to do with the fact that waiters and waitresses in the US are paid extremely small salaries. None of them make enough money to actually make ends meet. This is particularly frustrating for everyone with some sense of justice and equality because serving is a physically incredibly demanding job (much more than it looks like). So, even if the service wasn't great, you should still give them at least something small. Of course you are not legally required to tip but it is offending not to do so. It's like puking in front of somebody's feet when you're drunk. There is no law that says you have to go home to throw up or at least find a public bathroom but it's still a sign of decent social conduct to go to a bathroom instead of getting on the subway and puking there right in front of somebody's feet simply because you don't care. Every waiter/waitress will thank you for your tip.

• Oh and I should add that American servers are usually super friendly and exceptionally obliging. When I compare them with the servers here in Europe , I always wish the ones here were at least half as friendly. Just last summer I spent some days in Paris and the service in the restaurants was absolutely terrible. My girlfriend and me were either completely ignored or treated very arrogantly at practically every place we ate. One time a waiter even yelled at us for daring to ask why it takes such a long time after we had been waiting for our starters for a whole hour.

• It is optional, but they will hate you and rightfully so.

• Why? I'm not rich and it's not my responsibility to pay them

• How much tip would make a server's day?

• 15% is average 20% is really nice, and anything 25% or more is very special.

• It 's optional i guess

• I dont tip. They should just get better jobs.

• I don't know. But make sure you have your tip, because for a big meal like that, it makes you the worst customer in the world - unless the waiter and cook were horrible.

• It's not a law, it's just in extraordinarily bad taste

• Like, "bless his/her heart, he/she must have forgotten because he/she needed to get back to the trailer and kids before the meth lab next door explodes and burns it all down...", kind of bad taste

• Ok, Ya, unless the service was *really* bad, but on the other hand, I'll tip up to 20% if the service was particularily good...

• Bad enough to tip would be like being blatantly rude, or not checking my table even once (and thusly not waiting at all...)

• It really depends on the restaurant

• if I don't think they deserved a tip I won't give a tip, no matter how much it cost

• It feels sometimes like that indeed... i think it should be earned with. good service

• you are supposed to leave like 11% tip

What Girls Said 3

• its not forced but it seems very rude that you wouldn't tip for something like that

• and who cares if it was "bad service"? theyre still humans and need a sustainable life... like saying "if i dont like your attitude ill let you become homeless! Hah!"

• lol nothing happens if you don't leave tips but it's a social norm.

• its not forced.