First job Advice: Retail, hostess or waitress?

I want to get a job this summer and I'm not sure what to apply for. I want a decent paying job that I'd also enjoy for the most part. I've applied for some retial positions and am considering some restraunts. I'm not sure if I should apply as a host or server. I hear that servers get paid better than hosts, because tips are included in their wages. I like the idea of that, but I'm nervous about the idea of being a server. I feel like taking orders and carrying trays will be hard to do and I might mess up. But I might get paid better and might be less likely to get bored. On the other hand, being a host seems like it would be a "safer" position to choose with a smaller chance of messing up.
What's your thought on what I should apply for?

Most Helpful Guy

• Guess USA similar to UK in that retail jobs suck. Retail staff always seem to get verbal abuse as if it is the staffs' fault when things aren't right.

Being a waitress can be hard work, especially at the beginning. Similar to retail, you can get a lot of verbal abuse if things go wrong.

I think best to start as a host, you can always apply for something else at a later date. If need be, take the first job that comes along. You can keep looking for something better.

What Guys Said 5

• hostess guess it's easier... no?

• Retail, hostess/waitress, lifeguard, babysitter. Those are great first time jobs for you!

• Waitress I think!

• whichever you want to do :)

• First job at 18-24?

What Girls Said 3

• Retail. You still have to deal with shitty people, but those shitty people don't hold the fate of your income (tips) in their hands.

• Any job is good if you can get customer experience before you apply for a retail job. All jobs have their challenges.

• Hostess is the best!