Is the word 'fat' offensive?

I've realized that many people use the term 'big' to represent 'fat' people. But people have no issue using the term 'skinny' to define 'smaller' girls. So Is the term 'fat' actually offensive and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• da word by itself? no!

What Guys Said 3

• It depends on the way it's said and when it's said.
    If your girlfriend asks 'Do I look fat in this?' you can answer 'Well, the dress doesn't look good on you, how about we try something else'
    I wouldn't say, "yes you do look fat", but some girls wouldn't mind if you'd be straight up... SOME

some would be offended. Also if you go to some guy and say "you're fat", Now THAT is a direct insult to him

• No.

Humans make it offensive.

If you see a fat person do you call them skinny or athletic? That wouldn't make sense.

If their fat then you call them fat. Just like if someone is white you call them white.

• Curvy is the correct term,

What Girls Said 1

• The word fat itself is not bad in itself. It has, however, gained a negative connotation with the times. The term skinny used to be derogatory just as fat is now back when being overly thin was considered a sign of poor health and low income.