I feel horrible for not knowing to tip my taxi driver?

I didn't know you were supposed to tip taxi drivers. Last night I needed to gt home from work so I called a taxi. The tab ended up being $6.90, so I gave him $7. Then the cab driver said, "you know you're supposed to tip your cab driver." or "you're supposed to tip whenever you take a cab or go to restaurants." So I asked how much he wanted and he said a dollar. I have tipped cab drivers before if I kept them waiting or if they've helped me carry something. I usually tip more than just a dollar in those cases. Should I feel too bad, because I feel horrible now :/.
I also have a problem where if I make a even small mistake I will literally remember it for the rest of my life and will feel like a horrible person.

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't feel bad, it was an honest mistake. You could just tip extra from now on for a couple weeks/months until you feel like you've made up for it if it's really bothers you that much.

• Good idea. I've actually done that in restaurants and coffee shops. The server or barista will give me this surprised look b/c of the tip amount lol

• yea that's what I do now too, my parents were always super cheap and gave the crapiest tips so I want to make up for it, I've been tipping very generously for years and it has made me feel like I've fixed their mistakes haha

What Guys Said 4

• Who cares, screw him because he probably took you the long way anyway.

• I've actually done the same for a pizza delivery man. Afterrds I realised that I should have given him a tip. If I ever see that man again Ill make sure to give him an extra large tip to make up for my rudeness.

• You're 22. Most of your tipping life is ahead of you. Relax.

• you are fine why would that make your horrible

What Girls Said 3

• I usually tip.
    But I don't think anyone should feel obligated to.
    Some people don't have enough that day (it's normal).
    Even at restaurants I tip based on service.
    Bad service = no tip.
    It's not mandatory to me.

• First shame on him. No one should ever demand a tip. I would have told him no. Second, please don't stress about a dollar. Third, you need to realize that a mistake is a learning experience not a moment to beat yourself up. Everyone messes up and we move on. The point is to not continually keep doing the same thing. :-)

• The reason I feel so bad is because I'm a server so I know you're supposed to tip b/c they only make $2.13 an hour because tips are their only source of income. I don't really know how cab drivers are paid, so I didn't know how vital it is to tip them. However, I have been given shitty tips or no tip at all (even when I felt I gave good service) and I do agree that you should NEVER demand a tip even if you know the customer is not tipping out of rudeness.

• what the hell-don't feel bad, that guys an arse. I would of been like go fuck yourself. I decide who to tip, im not going to tip if they only do what's required of their jobs. Tips are for the ones who go above and beyond, you know? Urgh, entitled pieces of crap like him make me angry.