Hey people, so I was looking about dinosaurs and their extinction?

Yeah, i was looking for their extinction and i saw in a video that the asteroid caused 180,000,000 million megatons of T. N. T. And i was wondering how much power is that. Can you tell me?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was about 9 miles wide.
    An asteroid the size of a house would equal the power of the atomic bomb that the U. S dropped on Hiroshima. So a house size asteroid could wipe out most mid size cities easily.

An asteroid the size of a mere 20 story building would be packing about 25-50 Megaton of energy, so large cities like LA, NYC, London, Houston, Moscow, Rome, and etc will be wiped out instantly along with any smaller cities nearby from an asteroid that large.

An asteroid a mile long would be 10 million times more powerful then the Hiroshima bomb. If a mile long asteroid fell directly on top of NYC, its effect will extend to 1000 miles, flatten every single thing from Washington DC to Boston (500 miles between these two cities) and it would cause extensive damage all the way out to Chicago (800 miles away).

A 9 miles Asteroid with 180,000,000 megatons will be powerful enough to easily wipe out several countries if not a huge chuck of a continent.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• its greater than one can describe.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Here is a good article to explain that, TNT is often used as a base measure to quantify how much power and energy something gives off, be it an explosion, earthquake or other event in the universe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent

0|1
    0|0
  • TNT? did it exist back then?

0|0
    0|0
  • 180,000,000 million megatons.

1|0
    0|0
  • The power of a thousand babies!

0|0
    0|0