Homophobia accusations! What to do?

A gay kid in my school ask me out to an event in school but I told him I wasn't gay, nicely let down.
But people saw and he was kind of embarrassed.
Later I saw him with his "girlfriends" and they were all huddled around him and he was crying. Then they all gave me a dirty look.
The next day people threw stuff at me, called me a homophobe and asked why I called him a f*g and other horrid things.
The head teacher ask if I said those tthings but no one believes me. I'm a bit shy and nobody knows me that much. What shall I do?
I would never discriminate against annyone. Now I'm known as the homophobic boy and nobody knew me before. They even sent a letter home to my Dad.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm getting sick and tired of the word Homophobic being thrown around around. Homosexuals are too sensitive.

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 8

• If those people will just believe rumors then screw them. They're not worthy of friendship and that guy is bitter and petty to try and smear you for not dating him so they're basically all assholes. Let them think what they want.

• guess he spread rumors about u... :/

• But I did nothing wrong... before I didn't even think of gay people badly but now I know its wrong to discriminate but subconsciously I make the mental link...

• Wut so you didn't call him a fag or did you now?

We don't know what you exactly said, but that guy should man up and use his brain.
    If you're straight, and he's not... there's nothing he can do? People over there are crazy wtf or you've insulted him with 'fag' or something

if you politely decline, then that guy is blame

• Yeah I didn't call him anything, I tried to be as nice as possible. I don't know why he thought I was gay though?

• The other day I went up to him and said I was sorry if I offended him in anyway but his girlfriends immediately butted in and told be to "f**k off". They said I can't just apologies for discriminating against him. So I was like oh well I tried.

• Discriminating, those girls are stupid...

• i wouldn't care, tell them to fuck off and call them faggots, see how they respond.

• These days seems that gay is the natural thing. What the fuck has our country become?

• he must have said a lot of crap about you.. obviously too stupid to take a rebuff

• more proof the gay activists are a bunch of violent Trollz.

• Jeez he must of been on his period lol. But in all seriousness he sounds butt hurt tell him out loud I'm Not gay and make sure the entire school here's it. by the way where the girls hot?

• Two of them yes, the other three are OK looking. Why?

• No but there are more attractive girls in the school. These are just a handful.

• Well that's good.