Does a kid that hurts animals necessarily becomes dangerous as an adult most of the time?

I'm a living example of someone that had anger issues as a kid and yes I was mean to animals (I also would drown some living things, decapitate frogs, etc). However, I'm totally different now and have been for the longest. Yes, now as an adult I do look back at my past actions back then.

Most Helpful Guy

• It has to do with empathy, or lack of.
    Children often lack empathic ability and that's why they can be cruel.

With age people usually develop stronger empathic ability and they are no longer cruel because they feel with the animal and other people.

Some people are psychopaths and some never really develop empathy, hence can be cruel in adult age.

So the bottom line. It doesn't matter if you've done cruel things as a child or not. What matters is if you develop empathy or not at a later age. That's my 2 cents.

• Thanks. I started developing empathy shortly after my 13th b-day. From early childhood till 12, I was a mean to animals and a bully to certain classmates at school.

• I guess that realization comes at different stages for everyone, yet never for some.

What Guys Said 6

• Nope as long as you learned from it and were aware of it.

• That is the stereotypical TV/Movie plot - I don't know if research backs it up.

• not always... i'd say about 50/50

• That's an accurate percent. I'm now totally the opposite of that once mean, tomboy, callous girl. I'm to the point of being too emotional and even sometimes cry in sad movies.

• All boys hurt animals. It's perfectly normal.

• Yes statistics show its a violent trend

• But I'm now kind to animals. I've changed since shortly after my 13th b-day.

• did you have mental problems

• Probably. I had issues at home too. It was during a troubling time in my life.

• If those issues at home are gone i guess you are fine now

What Girls Said 8

• My brother was cruel in that sense to (insects).
    He would build homes for ants in our backyard... and put food there.
    Hundreds of them would start to live there (this took hours or days to see this transformation ).
    He would literally make it their castle.
    He would then crush it and kill them.
    The survivors would run and he would find joy from the destruction he caused.
    He would kill slugs, snails and worms.
    It got out of control.
    I told my parents about it but he continued.

Fast forward.
    He's grown and not a serial killer.
    That's the best I could ask for.

• Thank you for sharing your story. Yeah, it would suck if someone gets scared because of this past of mine. I'm kind to animals now.

• How can you live with yourself knowing you killed animals? I don't care how you've "changed" that's not normal behavior for a growing child. That's some real psychological/ emotional issues

• To be honest, I recently remembered how this all started. This was a block, repressed memory but now it came back. My older male cousin killed a squirrel in front of me (I was 4-5 years then) and he trying to get me to do what he did. Then on top of that, I had lots of issues at home, which is too hurtful to discuss.
      But I'm no where the same now as when I was a kid.

• @GirlsLie the asker didn't take anything personal and I apologized to her if It came off that way. That isn't normal behavior to just kill animals but after she explained it I seen where she was coming from and how she started

• I know I saw it, that was nice of you, I was just explaining why I said what I said also lol

• No not necessarily... In the movies Halloween yes!

But it is ok, if you are not that way anymore. You were younger, do not be too hard on yourself, despite what others have said about how you can still live with yourself.

Um. :) I remember when I was younger I would squish ants with the tips of my fingers, or roll them in a ball, although I actually do not recall enjoying it after, because I would feel guilty and not know why they are scrunched up and no long moving lol. :) I think that I thought I was playing with them! >.<

• Humans are animals as well.

I have no clue but that kid is horrible. How would that person like it if someone did the same thing to them?

I can't stand seeing anyone doing that to any kind of animal.

• I saw my older male cousin killed a squirrel in front of me, was then 4-5 years old. This repressed memory just came back. Apart from home issues I had, this is how it all started.

• My boyfriend once had this cat he loved greatly as a little kid. Some kids in his town took the cat and killed it by crushing it under a rock. They killed it because they just didn't like him. So my boyfriend had to take the rock off of his crushed dead kitteh and bury it.

• Sorry to hear what they did to his cat. Now this would actually make me cry. I'm still ashamed that (my mean child version that is) during that time, I would have smiled.

• It's definitely a trait.

• Maybe, it'd move onto humans.

• It is possible... Maybe..

• It's certainly a warning sign.