Why do people judge things that they haven't looked into or read about?

For example, a lot of people believe that God is the cause of suffering. But have you really looked into it as the bible does prove wrong? For people to just judge by what they are told or what they think is frustrating sometimes. Everyone judges I know. But when it comes to religion a lot of the answers come from the bible itself.

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem with your bible-argument is that it's a typical logical fallacy. It's one of the most popular logical fallacy among christians: the circular argument. If you say that "most answers are in the bible" you're basically saying "the bible is true because it says that in the bible and if something like that stands in the bible it must be true". Rationally seen, your beloved bible is a book just like any other. I could quote Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Shakespeare and claim that everything in there is true and that this book/these books hold all the answers. You believe that your book, the bible, is backed up by some kind of authority but if you are an intelligent, educated christian, you have to admit that you don't have any evidence for such an authority existing or having existed at one point. This means that this whole ideological construction is based on pure faith, believing in stuff without good reason. And since there is no reason, one belief is just as good as the other. I know you probably think people who believe in Allah or Vishnu or Thor or L. Ron Hubbard are crazy because that's "obviously bullshit", but I can assure you that these people think exactly the same thing of christianity. Religions (or religious sects) are by definition nonsensical. They only seem to make sense to you if you are an actual believer (because as believer you can discard the rational thinking and the facts). So while god might be a awesome figure for you, it can just as well be a terrible figure for another person. There is no right or wrong. From a atheistic standpoint I can tell you this: I don't care about god and thus, find him neither good nor bad. But one thing is clear: IF god existed, it would certainly be extremely hard for him (her/it/them) to explain all the misery in this world. Because if a hypothetical god wasn't able to cure the misery, he wouldn't be omnipotent and if he was able but not willing, he wouldn't be good.
    I personally simply find it said that people would rather look for easy answers in some stupid book instead of actually reading contemporary (possibly scholarly) texts about global problems, read the newspaper, watch documentaries etc. and inform themselves properly. Education is always the first step to solving problems. Simply looking in the bible for answers is a bit like racism: some people just take easy explanations for their misery like "foreigners steal our jobs" instead of actually reading about global problems.

• Did you have fun writing that lol. Sorry but I really can't be bothered to read it as its too long.

• I didn't say these things didn't happen. But there were not earthquakes or food shortages that long ago because the earth wasn't polluted and people weren't as greedy. I respect your opinion, belief and viseversa. I'm sure we both could go on but I really don't want to argue. And no, that's not showing I'm running away. Arguing doesn't get anyone anywhere.

• We're not arguing. We're having a discussion. That's something I find very sad about Americans. Every time you try to have a discussion about religion or politics with them, they immediately take it as arguing or fighting. And discussing has indeed a purpose: I was hoping you would at least reflect a tiny bit on your views. I'm not trying to steal your faith from you. What saddens me is that you believe stuff based on a bunch of very bizarre, completely irrational reasons. Like this claim that people hadn't been greedy in earlier times. How do you happen to know this? Are you a historian? Do you have some statistical data that I don't know anything about? Or isn't it simply a lie you made up to support your faith? I think deep inside you know these things don't make sense. I think you KNOW that claiming there was a link between earthquakes and pollution is complete bullshit. But you would rather lie to yourself than question your religious believes. I find that rather tragic.

What Guys Said 6

• Well, I'm just saying that God "supposedly" created us and all this world, so technically, yes, all the bad is God's fault.

• God didn't make Adam and Eve eat the apple. that was their own choice. God has nothing to do with all the bad in the world. Humanity is to blame for that.

• That's called free will. Everyone has the right of making their own choices in life. What would you think of God if he controlled us?

• I never said he should control us, but he should have not created us with the ability of doing so much wrong.

• It's true that you shouldn't blindly accept things just because you are told. Neither should you blindly accept things just because it's written in a book.

• Ah! But I don't. See there's a reason why I do.

• It's just pure fact that something written doesn't automatically become truth.
      Yes, I've looked into the Bible and I can't believe that some God could support slavery, stoning to death and such things clearly described in there. But you are free to believe what you want.

• Same with you. Sorry I dint mean to argue

• they r just ignorant people ;)

• Because it doesn't occur to them that there might be more to the thing than they know.

• Human nature!

• ignorant people

What Girls Said 1

• Ignorance I guess.