Do you think its weird or unusual to have a rule to take off your shoes before you enter your house?

I have a rule of taking shoes off before entering the house, im inviting a girl over and i dont want to think im a higine maniac or something... should i apply this rule when she comes over?

20

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I like to do that anyway. Protects the carpet and means I can curl my feet under me when I sit, which I always do. I take my shoes off at every opportunity in general tbh, like in school if we were in the common room hanging out I'd take them off to sit on the sofa

What Girls Said 19

• I don't think it's weird.

• i do have that rule. i dont want shit on my floor i like to lay down on it to meditate plus other things...

• Everybody has different rules, different traditions.. etc... and should be understandable and respected.

we have a rule, you can't go upstairs with shoes, cause upstairs is carpet.. but downstairs its fine because it's hard flooring.

anyway are you chinese? just curious... I've seen that on chinese tv

• I always take my shoes off. I think it's weird walking around inside with dirty shoes

• It's a general respect thing to do it regardless of if someone tells you to or not. The only time I don't take my shoes off is when someone specifically says not to.

• Isn't that common? To remove shoes before entering a home?

• Your house, your rules. I always ask before entering someone's place -especially if they've got white carpet, wood floors, or a shoe rack by the door.

• I believe it has to do more with being polite and respectful towards the person's home. There's a certain time invested in cleaning and maintaining it so I wouldn't be fine with someone going around with dirty shoes. But if their feet stink, I'd reconsider.

• I follow the home owners lead.. If you kick em off she should too. That's such a common rule and it's ok to ask people to do it. I do.

• Where I was brought up the shoes came off at the doorway. So no it's not weird.

• I have that rule at my house. I'd still ask if she can take off her shoes.

• It depends on where you live, in Sweden, where I'm from, you take your shoes off if someone doesn't tell you it's okay to keep them on.

• We do that in my house, no. it's not weird, a lot of the people I visit ask me to take my shoes off. So yeah, apply the rule to her, she may have accidentally stepped in something nasty and you don't want that in your home.

• I think it's different

• Yes, let her know.

But don't be too strict if she forgets.

• Nope, many of my friends have that rule.

• That's not weird. I take my shoes off at the door. Always have. Just ask her to! No big deal.

• Yes it's your rule for a reason and there is nothing wrong with it we have the same rule cause we have cream colored carpets and 6 kids

• I hate that rule...