Do you think suicide is too much of a taboo?

Because I think it is. I wish people could talk about it more easily, and also accept that life simply does not work for some people. But at the same time I realize that it goes against ones very instincts to take your own life, which is why most people find it such an alienating thought.

As for me, I'm glad I don't have the urges anymore, but for everyone out there that is thinking of ending it. I know how you feel, and I hope that you won't have to make the ultimate decision. I really hope that you do find a way - any way - to pick yourself up again. Lord knows it took me long, long enough to get to the point where I felt reasonably happy again.

Finally, I think GAG could use a 'Mental Health' category. Maybe.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree about the Mental Health category.

I think there should be less stigma attached to mental illnesses in general; they should be treated as what they are, ie. illnesses. There's no more reason to be ashamed of having a mental illness than having a physical one; and mentally ill people should be able to talk about their experiences and get support from those around them

I am so sorry that you've been suicidal in your life; nobody deserves to go through that. I'm really glad that you are feeling so much better now <3

• Thank you. It's bad enough already that plenty of people do not have access to mental healthcare, not even a psychologist for a good talk or two. That's also why I'm inclined to think that access to mental healthcare should be made free, or at least very accommodating for people who do not have the financial means, but do carry the mental burden. I think it would benefit society greatly as long as psychiatrist and doctors stop handing out antidepressants like it's delicious candy. That really has to stop.

• Oh it's the same here. Attendance rates are pretty dismal. It's like the common man (or woman) simply doesn't care about who leads the country anymore. I blame it partially on ignorance but also on plain bitterness. What you really hear often here when out in public or on the bus/train/whatever is one-liners such as: "It doesn't matter who we vote for in the end it's all the same scum and nothing will change".

To be fair, it's extremely tempting to think like this. But I'm hoping that some actual changes will come when the old guard leaves to retire so we can get some young blood circulating in the political machine. I think both our countries need this very much.

• Yeah you hear the same here. I think it's terrible especially coming from younger people who have the 'Don't vote! Refuse to play the game!" attitude; because apathy from younger potential voters is exactly what conservative party leaders want. It's younger people who would vote for change, but so many just think their vote wouldn't make a difference. I'm guilty of this myself I suppose to an extent; I voted tactically in the general election rather than voting for the candidate I would have really wanted to get in :/

What Girls Said 1

• I wish it could be more talked about too.

• And hopefully without judging. Which is hard, very hard. Even a well-meant "Don't worry, it'll get better" can rub a suicidal person the wrong way.

What Guys Said 8

• No I don't agree - I don't like people on GaG taking on the roles of therapists, counsellors and doctors - If a person comes to the site with a serious issue they should be guided to professional help as quickly as possible.

• Doctors are often the ones making us suicidal, or at least encouraging the depression

• Good point @Remonster but my point is a professional has to be invovled. Maybe a supervised forum with admin experts watching content and offering advice

• @KDA20 Such forums luckily exist. Forums where crisis hotlines are well-advertised and the community is closely monitored to guard against trolls, but also to watch for signs of true suicidal intent or other forms of harm. Depressionforums. org comes to mind, but there are others.

And of course, in a crisis situation professional help should be made use of. Because sadly not everyone has a friend he/she can call in the middle of the night to talk them out of something devastating.

• unless you are dying for from a horrible slow, painful death, (like cancer or something) I don't think you should commit suicide. I think it is a cowards play, bo ho life sucks get over it

• Living merely for the sake of others isn't exactly brave, either. "bo ho life sucks get over it" Yeah no, it's not that easy. This ain't about teenage angst.

• Huh... I had always thought that people *hated* suicide for religeous reasons... that it might be alienating on a subconscious instinctual level is an interesting thought...

But anyway, I think if people could talk about suicidal thoughts, that maybe more people *would* talk about it rather than letting it eat them up inside and then eventually just skipping right to it.

But on the other hand, I think people are entitled to do with their lives whatever they would choose...

• not taboo... but sad action :(

• Sad for sure, but I would never call it selfish. It takes balls to kill yourself, it goes against what you are programmed to do. I personally very much dislike how it's called 'the coward's way out'.

• A society where people are voluntarily killing themselves... is irresponsible. #EmbraceLife

• It is the duty of the governing bodies as well as the fellow citizens themselves... to make sure everyone is embracing life the best they can.

• I'm not saying it should be encouraged. But if people can talk more openly about it, it may actually *prevent* a good few suicides! Apart from that, your hashtag is simply not something everyone can do easily.

• no, it's a person's right to kill themselves.

• Of course it is, but it is also shunned by society for a multitude of reasons. I think that if it was easier to be open about such thoughts, more than a few suicides could be prevented simply because they'd feel more understood. I think.

• in your society, maybe... you're from Islamistan.

• I'm from The Netherlands. And if you're referring to the Muslim 'problem' over here, the UK has it even worse.

• I agree. Every time I do it people make a huge deal about it.

• Its mental illness not taboo. Suicide cannot be reversed unless the Pope ressurects you to pay off your unpaid tithes.