When you think of Netherlands, what first comes to mind?

The Netherlands!

Most Helpful Guy

• Since I live there: Flaky politics, cows, windmills, Amsterdam, prostitutes, lovely Gouda cheeses and dairy, swarms of bikes (we have 18 million bikes!), football, and of course weed and other legal substances.

Funny really, even I only can come up with the cliche stuff unless I ponder on it a bit. But it's simply all true.

• Oh and of course... Beer, loads and beer. Heineken but that's actually considered a pretty terrible brand over here.

• @Toad-1 Yes I do. Considering the liberties we have, not only in regards to drugs but also when it comes to the media it ain't bad. Also most people seem nice, open but also direct. Dutch people don't like being bullshitted for the sake of friendliness and I like that. And apparently we rank quite high on the free-speech-index.

But it comes with plenty of downsides as well. Our politicians are sloppy, some policies makes absolutely zero sense, our government is often described as incompetent and 'America's ass-licker'. Insurance costs are high and so are the taxes. And our country likes the European Union a little bit too much, so we're always first in line when Brussels makes up new and silly policies. And on a more controversial note, the multicultural society that The Netherlands tried so hard to foster seems to be slowly falling apart. Which is causing all sorts of tension, especially between Moroccans and Caucasians. Not fun, really.

But yeah, so far I'm still good here

• Oh, and being connected to the Internet via a cheap-as-dirt symmetrical 100mbit connection doesn't hurt, either. ;)

What Girls Said 8

What Guys Said 14

• I've always found the canal and dike system there fascinating. In a country that should gave a 3rd of it underwater. The Netherlands has been able to live with nature and still expand its land.

On another note, i like the Netherlands in many respects but it seems way too liberal with less emphasis on value

• Yeah indeed a big part is below sea level, i also live in that part

• Rotterdam, the house where i was born, the bakery located inside a windmill, the medicine delivery guy who road around on a junky moped and smoked like a chimney, standing on a bridge over a canal in Amsterdam and feeling the cool night air on my face, the palace, pressing the emergency stop button on an escalator, Lego land, my fathers classic Mini Cooper, my liking of the national soccer team (before it was cool), a source of both happiness and grief when i moved.

• Where's Leiden on the map? I use to live there!

• Windmills, Dutch, Dutch language related to English , Gouda, licorice, tall people, blondes, Amsterdam, accepting society, stereotype of being cheap hence the idiom "going Dutch", sexy people, and al the Dutch on this forum.

• @remonster :p

• Amsterdam
    Windmills
    High quality cheese
    Bikes everywhere
    Weed
    prostitutes
    Rough language and rough accent
    Cows
    Famous football players like Robin Van Persie and Wesley Sneijder.
    @vekin @omar5881 @spuitkaas and a lot of other users that I can't remember their usernames.

• Amsterdam
    ///////////////////////////////

• legal prostitution and neanderthals (haha sounds like netherlands)

• The country where i have been born and still live.

Further i think of: Amsterdam, Ajax, Heineken, Andre Hazes, kings day, orange, ice skating and much more

• Tulips
    Bikes over there
    The zoo
    They have AWESOME pizza

• people here LOVE cheese and French fries like A LOT it's like an obsession, but there cheese and French fries r da best

• Nieky the natural Holzken.

• I think of the international soccer team with the orange jerseys

• Spanish occupation

• "You can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer."

https://youtu.be/6Pkq_eBHXJ4