Is a life sentence for Ross Ulbricht excessive?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/29/us-usa-bitcoin-ulbricht-idUSKBN0OE2IR20150529?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=Facebook

Ross intended Silk Road to be like an underground version of eBay, that respected anonymity. Unfortunately, his empire soon became a haven for drug dealers. Yet, he believed he had a right to his network, even if some users were abusing it. Yes, he should have been more willing to report abuse to authorities. His unwillingness to do so has cost him, especially since deaths have been associated.

Yet, he was charged with murder by prosecutors, in spite no evidence that anyone on his site ever carried out any murders. I personally would have given him a sentence of 5-15 years. Long enough to send a message that you should care about your site being abused for crime, but not so long as to completely rob a man of his entire life for the actions of others.

The real mesage being sent here, methinks, is not that he's being punished for the drug overdose cases. They're hitting him so hard because how dare he not operate out in the open, where he is vulnerable to the state's bully pulpit and his business can be politically sauted.

Yet, I can understand the desire to go underground. Look what happens when you try to operate a cake business, for example! Operating in public now means you can be placed on the Diet of Worms at any given moment - for your private beliefs! One jeweler in Canada learned that the hard way. For certain special interest groups, it's not enough to make their rings or bake their cake. Your private views have to align with theirs too, or it's war.

The alternative? Go underground. Evade the public nonsense, elude the Liberal Inquisition, etc. And be treated like a serial killer by the government for that. That's the message being sent by giving Ross two consecutive life sentences, if you ask me. It's no longer about the drugs. It's his former anonymity that is now being treated as the real crime.

• Acquit!
  • He got what he deserved.
  • Life? A tad bit excessive.
  • Hanging's too good for him.

Most Helpful Girl

• Look at the sentences the head honchos from Purdue Pharm got for knowingly marketing OxyContin as harmless/non addictive despite evidence to the contrary. Fines, that's all.

• They initially fooled Rush Limbaugh. That takes effort. And then he lost his hearing from the stuff, and had to get implants in addition to rehab. And that's just one small example of the damage they caused. You have a point; the system is rigged. Purdue Pharm just about got away with murder. Ross, on the other hand, got life for dealing under the table (and stealing the identity of Cary Ewles' most iconic role.)

What Girls Said 3

• "Life" doesn't usually mean the rest of your life. It usually means like 20-40 years.

Seriously though this guy facilitated hundreds of thousands of crimes if not millions. He has to be held accountable.

• I agree that a life sentence is excessive, but I do think he should be held accountable (at least partially) for the deaths that occurred due to his site (as well as any other crimes committed using his site). I think twenty years would be an appropriate sentence.

• A bit excessive...

What Guys Said 6

• ok that's too much... not wot he did was good, but still...

• Yes let's prosecute him in a court of social media and question the actual court ruling where they had all the information pertaining to the case. I use the deep web and yeah there is a lot of criminal activity going on there the 'silk road' was nothing as innocent as you are trying to say it was. It violated all kinds of laws and there were despicable things going on there. If he wanted a respectable business open it on the actual web following laws and sell things that are legal anonymously. The reason he went to the deep web was because of the black market. There is not really that much legal activity going on there.

• It's a publicity stunt, like "don't try to make a system like this, people!".

Anyway, if he wanted to stay free, should've moved to a free country, such as Russia or China.

• How topsy turvy is the world if China has more freedom than the U. S? I have Chinese friends who say it's getting to be about the same. But America has much cleaner air.

• Frankly, from geopolitical point of view it's rather pleasant to hear that :)
      No offense.

• I'm just hoping that in 2018, the world plays out very differently from the timeline of my "Sodality" series. America would be 1/3rd ISIS, 1/3 China, and 1/3 a fragment of its former self. I see that long-term as a losing situation for everyone, including Russia.

• I think drugs should be legal but everybody has to pay taxes. Get him on tax evasion.

• He's just a poster child. "Mess with the U. S. government, and this is what will happen to you."

• smfh

Penal systems are so fucking archaic and political. I really no longer care if public officials get killed because of this type of shit.