Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying?

Lol before anybody starts attacking me I'd like to point out that I would help anybody regardless of who they are. I'm currently at the library and the guys on the table next to mine are having a debate over whether or not they'd do so, so I thought I'd just ask on here to see if opinions differed.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not qualified so no.

Even if I was I'd be hesitant.

It's well documented that rates of hiv, hepititis c and various other diseases is MUCH higher with homeless people. The risk of infection is small but it's still there.

www.news-medical.net/.../...g-homeless-people.aspx

www.inpulsecpr.com/...-sick-by-performing-cpr.html

• Virtually everyone would be hesitant. Would you do it?

Another question. You see an armed man hurting a child. You yourself do not have a weapon. You can call the police, but the response time involved will mean the child certainly will be hurt or killed while you wait. He is armed and he can hurt or kill you. What do you do? Do you risk your life for this child?

• You have seconds to act, by the way.

• @Bluemax
      as I said before I don't know for sure how I'd act. It's easy to say I'd act a certain way but actually doing it is different. I'm generally an anxious person but I think in this scenario I'd be significantly more likely to act. If my my axiety transformed into rage which it can if I feel boxed in a corner, I think id kill the guy. Not saying I'd be successful in doing so but I think I'd try.

What Guys Said 20

• I don't give homeless people CPR.
    I give CPR to people , their status or whatever label has no relevance.

• There are some really dumb questions out there. And this one is right up there. So, it matters if a person has a home or not, over whether you would save his life, or not?

• I embarrassed to admit that I don't know CPR. If I did know it though, then I believe I'd try to help anyone. It's just in my nature.

• I am qualified (I have to be for my job) and I would. I wouldn't like it. I'd be worried, but I would.

• I definitely would help them, homeless or not. I would do my best to save them because they may save me later on. You act on the Golden Rule. If you're just going to walk on by someone that was dying, that's pretty fucked up. At least call the ambulance. It doesn't matter if it's bullshit, at least make sure they're alright. You may think those people, the homeless, are crazy and just want money and all, but they're human too. We all deserve love and a chance to see the light.

• Assuming you are who you say you are (no offense, it's just that people have been proven to be catfish before on GAG), it comes as little surprise to me that you would say this.

People like you can live in my neighborhood anytime, LoganM.

• I'm obliged to since I'm a nurse and it's the right thing to do via good Samaritan act

• Depends on what they're dying of. If they're suffocating, that's the reason I keep a rescue mask in my car. I've already given CPR to someone on the side of the road.

• Ammendment: I'd give them CPR if they had no pulse because that's what it's for. Not for suffocating. Lol

• No. They might have a contagious disease and the last thing I want is something like that to happen. Plus, they're homeless and dying would be for the best and end their suffering. Lastly, as messed up as this might sound-one less burden for the well being of society

• If they'd only made the transition into homelessness within the last 24 hours and it was an attractive female, sure. Or an ugly old man. Preferably the latter.

• Yeah I would. Im thankful for my state having a good samaritan law in place.

• Of course, They are human beings, I don't understand why you wouldn't

• i fear i'd do worst than saving the person.

I'd just kneel down and pray to jesus for healing. Jesus is the only way right?

• If I didn't have a mask I would provide compressions but not respirations.

• It seems a lot of people don't realize that even compressions can give essential time needed for rescue personnel to arrive.
      This is unfortunate.

• No, I don't want to get my clothes dirty

• Of course.

• I would oh wait I have before and let me say it's not fun or funny cause that person life is in your hands until the ambulance gets there

• I wouldn't, even if it's not a homeless person,
    it's not my problem when people around me are dying.
    Just got to make sure nobody sees me leaving the place without helping.

• Probably not cause I would have no idea what I would be doing.

• I find it ridiculous how people could kiss strangers and have one night stands and not worry about diseases but as soon as a guy's life is on the line it's suddenly important.

• No. Neither would anyone else. Just being honest.

Frankly, no one gave a Fuck about the guy before, why give a Fuck now that he's dying? Letting him die is probably a mercy anyway.

What Girls Said 20

• Actually there is a shift in CPR tactics that focuses on high quality compressions vs ventilations. If you are doing compressions correctly, the air is forced into/out of the lungs anyway. If you ever find yourself in this situation, doing compressions only is far better than doing nothing until help comes. In other words, mouth to mouth isn't as important as it used to be per AHA guidelines.

• As someone training to be a nurse, why not?
    I do not see people by class but rather by someone in need of help.
    I'm not refusing to help someone because of their financial state.

• I wouldn't give a stranger, homeless or not, mouth to mouth. But I'd try my best at chest compressions. I'm pretty weak though, so if someone stronger was around, it would probably be better if they gave it a shot. But I'd do my best if nobody else was around.

• You would let a man die in your arms rather than administer oral CPR that could very well save his life? THIS is what is wrong with your selfish generation.

• ... be happy that this friend or loved one did exactly what the police wanted? Do you think, if you saved a child by intervening, the family of that child and the child itself would say, "You should have done exactly what the police told you?"

• @Bluemax I said I'm done, bye.

• I know how to do CPR, but I'd be very reluctant to give mouth to mouth to a homeless person.

God knows what nasty shit they carry. I don't want to put my own life in jeopardy trying to play hero. I would pump their heart, buy no way is my face getting anywhere near a homeless person's mouth.

• Chances are you could save a person with mouth to mouth CPR! And the risk to you own would be very minimal. Certainly nothing your would die from. Unbelievable!

• "In fact, your scenario poses a more serious threat."
      Well, it is a thought experiment which by their nature tend to be imperfect. However, I believed you answered it anyways. Risk to your own life, you won't step in.

Is there a point at which you WOULD risk your life and step in to save someone? If it were a friend or loved one? If you are being assaulted, is there any point at which you would be angry at your boyfriend or loved one if he or they didn't step in and risk his life? If you were being raped and brutally beaten possibly to the point of killing you, your boyfriend saw it and you knew he saw it, but he did nothing more than call the police but didn't risk a single hair on his head to intervene, could you remain in love with him? Could you remain his friend?

• @Bluemax

It's a huge thread here, so I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this or not, but if it was someone close to my heart, I WOULD risk my safety and life. Hell, I've replayed scenarios in my head how I'd handle robbery, assault, harassment outside the house, etc.

I would step in if it were my boyfriend, family or friend and I would expect the same courtesy.

• I have before. I worked in medical oncology in a hospital before switching professions. He was homeless, alcoholic and had a nasty infection in his leg among other health issues. Got him up to walk per doctors orders and as he was walking his heart rate dropped, he fainted in my arms and flatlined. I had to call code which everyone on the floor ran to the room, someone grabbed the crash cart and cpr was done. Once resuscitated he was accessed and sent to icu

• Am sending you absolutely huge amounts of kudos, for having done what you did.

May your kindness and thoughtfulness by returned to you @ButtHoleSandwich one day.

• Having had a number of instances where I've become more acquainted than I ever wanted to with emergency rooms, I have to say NURSES FUCKIN' ROCK! Seriously, they're some of the best people I've ever met.

• My bad. Nevermind. Sorry for mentioning you.

• No because I don't know how to and I'd probably just make it worse... But if I knew how toi would.

• Absolutely right I would.. Wouldn't anyone?

• You'd be surprise of the number of people that would actually just ignore it.

• Thank God there is still compassionate, thoughtful and kind people like you left in the world.. Am sending you too huge amounts of kudos.

• Take a look at the responses of others. It would seem there are some who wouldn't.

• Of course. First of all its not my place to decide who should live or die. Secondly, I'm not going to do an evaluation of worth on anyone that needs helps. Jesus didn't ask questions before he healed people. I hope I'd follow his example.

• yes i would, to save someones life is the one thing i will always try and help, yeah it might be kinda of hard with their hygiene and everything but im pree sure if we were in their shoes we would want the same help :)

• Obviously.

• The most important thing is to do the chest pumps or whatever they are called. There is no pressure in doing mouth to mouth, you can leave the breathing for the first aider or paramedic when they come. So yea, I probably wouldn't do mouth to mouth as its not hygienic. And that is the same for any person.

• When I said breathing I meant mouth to mouth. But of course if I needed to do that I would

• In most cases chest compressions alone are enough to get a person breathing so there might not even be a need for mouth to mouth.

• Yes, I would. They're human beings just like us.

• He would be out of luck embarrassing as it is I don't now CPR.

• I would if i know how to

• Yes I would. It will make me feel proud of myself if I saved a life.

• yes I would

• I would- it would be gross in my opinion but I'd do almost anything to save a life.

• Yes, why not?

• Yes, obviously?

• Of course I would. I'd be a shitty poor excuse of a human being if I wouldn't.