So I'm 23 and I want to play football is it too late to begin?

I never played in middle or high school football but where can I begin?

Most Helpful Guy

• I played semipro ball for many years. Most of us at least played high school, and a good amount played In college. There were guys on my team that had no prior experience though, but they were good athletes.

The only thing is that there's not much practice time, so you don't work on fundamentals too much. But if you're fast and can catch, you could play a relatively simple position like wide receiver, where you just need to learn a route tree. It'd take some work on your own time though, practicing route running, etc, optimally with a teammate to teach yourself how to work against different leverages by the DB, beating jams, etc. Playing QB or something would be very difficult, there's a big difference between throwing the ball around the yard with your boys and running an effectively and efficiently. If you're willing to commit to it though, you could see some playing time after awhile, you just need to absorb everything you can in practice. Maybe if you have a coach that's cool and willing to put in extra time after practice they could help show you the ropes. If you google semipro football, or amateur football, or minor league football, you can probably find links to leagues in your area, and then a link to a website or Facebook page for individual teams with contact info.

Be prepared for travel though. I played in a league that had us driving all over the damn place. We had a game scheduled for noon six hours away all the way up in Bangor, Maine, we left at like 4 AM. One year they'd rent a bus for the team most road games that were an hour-plus away, but so many guys just drove themselves and the cost was so much that they stopped. Usually we'd meet up in a big parking lot somewhere and carpool. If you have an SUV, expect to be doing a lot of the driving, haha, I got stuck doing it almost every time. So we drove all over Massachusetts, the rest of New England, and down to the NY/NJ area. Two years in a row we played in the National Championship game, and we had to fly to Florida for that, out of pocket. Chances are you won't have to do anything like that at least.

And I'd be remiss to not point out the possibility of injury. You don't get paid, there usually aren't any huge crowds... you play because you love to play. But we all have work on Monday. I've seen games that get out of hand, 35+ leads and whatnot, and the coaches will talk at halftime and be like "ok, we'll play the 3rd quarter, and if it's not wothin 21 points for the 4th, we'll...

• ... just call it. No need to get anyone hurt." Most guys can't afford to miss work, that's the biggest thing. I separated my shoulder on the opening kickoff of one game, played through it, and then got knocked clean out by someone's knee towards the end of the game. There was a goofy situation at work after the game that I HAD to be there for, so I couldn't skip. My girlfriend wanted me to go the ER but I was like "I HAVE TO go to work, I'll go after." So I went into my job --as a bouncer at a bar-- with a concussion and my shoulder in a sling I bought at CVS. Thank god the shit didn't jump off that night, i'd have been useless, haha. So you need to think about that too. No one gets paid, but you can get fucked up just as easily as any other level. I hit a kid from behind while my teammate came up from his safety spot and DEMOLISHED this kid catching a slant, and we literally broke his back. No spinal cord injury fortunately, but that kid was laid up like a month in the hospital. AND it...

• ... happened at our field, so he was two hours from home and had to be at a local hospital. That's a major shakeup, especially if you have kids, a family, or even just a pet at home to think about. That's obviously an extreme situation, but something to consider nonetheless.

I've talked to long already, haha, but that's most of the deal. Ask away if you have other questions though👍

What Girls Said 5

• Kinda...
    Yes.
    Those functions have to be adopted early in life if you want to make something of yourself with it.
    If you just want to play for fun, then it's never too late.

• I'm sure there are placesthat'll let you.

• Not too late.

• It is never too late. We only have one life.

• It's not too late!

What Guys Said 7

• There are semi-pro teams all across the nation that you can tryout for if you're just wanting to play some ball.
    You're not trying to go pro or anything, right?

• It's going to be tough even in semi pro can I get paid to play in semi pro?

• Nope. Most semi-pro teams make you buy all your own stuff and you don't get paid.
      They're usually hurting for players, so it isn't overly difficult to at least make the team if you're athletic. May not be a starter or anything, but hey, you're on the team.

• football = soccer?

• No, it's not too late. It is for me, though. If I were you, I'd start working out like hell now. Then, see if there is someone (college coach or high school coach) that can watch you and then maybe recommend you to the NFL combine.

• gunna be way tougher now to start but it is possible... there probably won't be as many leagues or as good players

• unless you are super good then yeah its too late

• pick up football at a rec center? House leagues?

• I would not want to play football