Why some people call 80s music “oldies”?

“Oldies” were supposed 2 be 50s-60s…. not 80s…. right? :|

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the age of the speaker I would probably go back to the rock n' roll of the 1950s before mentioning oldies.

What Girls Said 8

• It's still old though.

• 80's was 30 years ago. It IS the oldies now. It's a completely different sound than recent music.

• I listen to some music from the 20's... so fifties and sixties is new compared to that. Sorry Klaatu, it's just part of getting old...

• They like to think they are young themselves but they're not

• Well, times have changed. It's still more than 30 years ago, so...

• i agree that oldies is a special term

• becoz now is 2015 so they feel anything before 2000 is oldies

• I like 'oldies' more than eighties..

What Guys Said 7

• Depends on what you consider "current" as to what would be old, I guess. I certainly consider oldies to be the 50's through 70's.

• They just don't get the 80s, man.

https://youtu.be/hnpILIIo9ek

• Because they don't understand that the term has specific meaning derived from a certain point in the history of radio.

• I always thought stuff before the 1950's were oldies. Stuff granny grew up with.

• It was called Oldies around 20 years ago, so logically it'd now be 70s-80s

• Nope, it was closer to 40 years ago. The word oldies is a specific term referring to an FM radio format developed in the early days of FM radio. Before FM, music on radio was mostly top 40 stuff. Because of the way FM developed, Oldies was specifically R&B, rock and roll, rockabilly, and pop from the 50s and 60s. The music wasn't that old at the time, it was just a bit older than the typical top 40 lifespan of two or three years so it got called oldies.

Likewise, classic rock is a radio format designed specifically around album oriented rock from the 70s and 80s. They're advertising terms. So a rock song that's a classic isn't necessarily classic rock, it has to come from a certain era for the label to fit.

• Because it's not the 80s anymore. Some are on their way to becoming timeless classics though.

• get wid the program man, you are a ancient stuck in the last century