What are you're thoughts on white people that deny that white privillage exisits?

i have many friends who are white and that deny that white privillage exists what are you're thoughts on this

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand why some deny it. They would feel they're in the same boat with minorities in many ways and are having a tough life. I get it.

But I doubt that the majority of them are followed in a store or stopped by a cop on numerous occasions.

My brother was stopped for no reason and I was in the car with him. He was driving his nice car (can't think of it). Anyway, I had no car so he had to take me to buy groceries during college. And the cop basically--probably--checked to see if the car was stolen because he took down all of my brother's information and then asked him why he was in my city when he was from out of town.

... I've heard of another guy say that he goes to high school and people walk ACROSS THE STREET from him when he walks their way.

A friend of mine and her family was FOLLOWED in a store while they were on vacation and the owner stood right there watching them while a white guy passed by them to shop for something else.

... So I call those people who have a hard life and want to say that it doesn't exist "ignorant". And I call rich folks who say that it doesn't exist "retards".

What Girls Said 8

• Well I don't blame them. They're not black, Asian, Hispanic etc... so they'll never understand what it's like to live life in the shoes of an ethnic minority.

• I am white and am unaware of these privileges lol

• no, they definitly exist and when an opportunity comes up, point it out

• I live in New Zealand.
    I am white, I went to school with Maori people who i guess are the "black race" of New Zealand. Everyone outside of the Maori unit had to work hard doing 6 classes and earning our credits, they only had to do 5 classes and could slack off in 4 of those because they could get all their credits from the Maori class where all they literally have to do is say a paragraph (in their own mother tongue) and they would pass. Then there is me doing economics, English , maths, history, classical studies, and computing till I am crying because I'm under so much stress just to get 80 credits to pass the level. White privlages? No. Black privlages? Yes.

• *Your
    *Privilege

• White privileges don't exist. If anything, everybody has more rights than white people. That's why you see Samalian people have everything handed to them. They get free housing, TANF, food stamps, health insurance, etc. Where as us white folk have to bust out asses to be able to survive. I have two kids and my husband and I both have jobs that barely pay anything. We struggle to make ends meet. We went in to apply for health insurance because we can't afford medical bills on top of other bills and other every day necessities. We were turned away at the door. But a samalian man who my husband happens to know, went in and applied to housing, health insurance and TANF and was accepted on spot. This man knows gets more money off the state in just a months time than me and my husband make within two months of working our asses off. There is no such thing as white privileges.

• yes there is there is a ton of white privillage out there

• What the hell is a Samalian?

• A person from Somalia.

• I don't really care.

• They are blind to the truth.

What Guys Said 11

• I think they exist to a certain extent, but being white isn't a garantee to success nor is being a minority an insurmountable hurdle.

Also I think white privilege is more of a social privilege as in if you are the same race as the minority in your country, you'll fit in more and be discriminated against less. For me being white helps me fit in more in places like the US, Canda and UK, however if I went to Mexico, China, Japan, or certain countries in Africa, that privilege would go away. I would not given special treatment in those countries. If anything I'll be a target. People might think "let's fuck with the white boy"

In my opinion the BIGGEST privileges that give you the biggest advantages are inherited wealth and positive genetic traits like intelligence or looks. This give you significant advantages in life and those advantages apply everywhere not just countries where you are the same race as the majority.

• I believe that if you want to work hard at something, you'll get it. I feel like, and it's not just you, that the race card gets pulled a lot. "White privilege" is a stereotype. I can name you a "black privilege". What about the n-word? Apparently if black people say it to each other, it's totally acceptable. BUT if a white person says the n-word, it's racist.

I agree that there may not be equality everywhere, but many minorities are in high positions. (i. e the President (African American), Marco Rubio (Hispanic), Ted Cruz (Hispanic), Ben Carson (African American), Herman Cain (African American), etc.

In order for everyone to be EQUAL, we must treat everyone the same. I believe, and this is my own opinion, that the sense of white privilege comes from a form of victimization by some African Americans. I will repeat this again... if you want to achieve something, you're going to get it, regardless of your race.

• "I believe that if you want to work hard at something, you'll get it."

That doesn't work for everyone. There is more to it than just working hard. Why don't people have common sense?

• That doesn't work for everyone? Of course it's not just working hard, it's also having the right mentality. Maybe you're the one who doesn't have enough common sense, because, just to let you know, a lot of minority groups have become very big lately in politics, media, etc. Open your eyes and see.

• But @RationalLioness you can keep on playing the blame game and point the finger at every white person. That's totally mature and adult like, especially for a twenty four year old, right?

• Well, it's one thing to deny them because you don't want to seem like their life is any easier than others.

Although it does exist. But I imagine some wouldn't actually know it does, since they've been living their whole life with it. So they don't see the privilege, because to them it's the norm.

• Correction on the first sentence-

It's one thing to deny them because they* don't want to seem like their life as any easier than others,

• Once upon a time I interviewed at Google. Got dinged in the final round, but all the minority/female interviewers I stayed in touch with got offers lol. Those tech companies trying to boost diversity numbers lol. Maybe, maybe not.

But yes, It's impossible for me to ignore certain privileges I've enjoyed by being white.

• it doesn't 8)

• They don't exist. Not in the UK anyways.

• They're correct, white privilege doesn't exist.

• eh, they may have their head in the sand. But in any event, success is still quite possible for non whites. You're just more likely to start the race of life at a disadvantage compared to white individuals from a similar socioeconomic background

• I think, "Good for you for not being religious!"

• Willfully ignorant.

• My thoughts are IDGAF. Unfair extra hurdles or not, people can still achieve whatever they want if they bust their ass. Anything else is just excuse-making.

• That's not true. Especially when many people try and work hard yet still get nowhere.. lol. It's so sad when people of your age are SO ignorant.

• Working hard is not the same as working smart--and that's THEIR fault.

I get that working two minimum wage jobs is a drain on time and energy. But are you telling me they can't find 30 minutes a day to learn knowledge/skills in sales and/or marketing to get a higher paying job (NO. A degree is NOT required--and those jobs can become six figures). Of course they could.

They wouldn't have to pay a cent to do it. There are public libraries. Or they can get e-books cheap.

It's simply about investing whatever resources they have, however little it may be, where it will have an impact. But they don't. And that's their fault.

• Look who's being the rude one. @RationalLioness it is true. There are many ways to achieve quickly. I. e saving your money or putting some into a retirement fund, etc. If you think, for example, working at McDonald's for your life is the only job, it isn't. It's probably the only job for people who don't have college degrees. See, the thing here is that if you have a college degree, many jobs open up. If you don't, tough luck.