Is it homophobic?

To say its that's gay when you don't like somthing e. g. this food is so gay

Most Helpful Guy

• hhahahahhahha how can a food b gay? o_O

What Girls Said 6

• I think so yes. I find it offensive when people say that all the time. Why is it gay? It makes no sense...

• Yes, it is. It's offensive and I think it makes no sense.

• Yes, it is. Also, it makes no sense.

• Yeah it obviously is. You're using the word "gay" as a bad thing...

• I dont believe that is nessasarily homophobic but it can come off as very offensive

• A little bit.

What Guys Said 9

• The word gay has always been a slang term, how it came to be an acceptable reference to homosexuals I don't know.

It's not homophobic unless you literally mean "that food is a homosexual"

• That's not quite true. "Gay" used to mean "pretty" or "beautiful". You see it a lot when you read novels or plays written before the 1950s (e. g. "See those gay flowers"). During the social movement for equal rights and de-stigmatization of homosexuals in the 1980s, homosexual men deliberately started using the word "gay" for "homosexual", as linguistic advertising so to speak (using a word with a positive connotation in order to make people have positive feelings when they thought of homosexuality, which was still considered disgusting and a disease back then).
      The slang use "omg this is so gay" is MUCH younger. Its use most likely started only in the new millenium. Its predecessor (which is still being used sometimes) is the equally offending "retarded" as in "this is retarded". Once teens started realizing how mean this is, they switched to "gay".

• Everyone I've ever known has used the gay as an insult.
    "That's so gay"

It's always gonna be this way, people are always gonna say it.

• "this food is so gay"

What the hell would that even mean?

• No, context wise, it is used as "slang" for "awkward, stupid, bad, lame, etc" ~ English dictionary.

• Why would you call something you don't like gay?

• It's immature. Keep doing it if you want to be treated like a little kid forever.

• Yes it is. You're basically replacing the word bad with gay. Suggesting that being gay is bad

• No its not. i call something gay, when it is shit or really crap

• At the very core, it means you regard "gay" as a swear word. But it's used so often in such a context it's largely regarded as simply just another meaning of the word.