How much would someone have to make to be able to afford a $3.64 million apartment?

This woman I used to talk to I figured she must make in the 200-300 range, but when I looked up where she lives it says her apartment/condo is worth that much. I don't know if she bought it or rent it, but she must make a lot more than that to be able to afford it. It doesn't make sense to me unless she lives with someone else and she never told me she did.

Also, she has a different job now, but I think she was living in the same place when she had her old job and glassdoor says the range for that position was 143-373K with 222K being the average. There's just no way she could afford something THAT expensive. I don't get it.
I am actually not sure if this is right then. I think it might be a co-op in a condominium. I found NY state records that put the property at like mid 400's when she would've bought it and now high 500's, so it must just be a portion of it. I am not certain but I think this is right.

Most Helpful Guy

• She's most likely renting it, but if not then she probably received a loan from the USDA or FHA in order to purchase that apartment, however I seriously doubt that because her income is too low for those agencies to loan her an apartment/condo that cost that much money. She'll need to be in the $900k-$2 million range in order to receive that type of a loan.

If there's one thing I know for certain though, there's no way she brought that apartment/condo, unless she has some hidden wealth in the millions of dollar range.

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe she comes from a wealthy family :P

• 3.64 million dollar apartment... um why not a house instead.

• you would have t be a millionaire, what is her profession?

• Financial analyst or something

• you would have to be a millionaire...

What Guys Said 7

• This is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.
    If, however, normal bank lending criteria (at least where I live) were to be applied, it would work like this.
    Deposit: minimum of 10 per cent.
    Loan: up to 90 per cent of the valuation of the property, as per the valuation report of a registered property valuer. To cover their arses, valuers usually understate the value of the property by 10 per cent, which means that in reality the borrower needs a deposit of 20 per cent of the purchase price, IF (it is a huge if) the market value is the same as the price.
    Ability to service: principle and interest payment must not exceed 30 per cent of the borrower's after-tax income.
    Therefore, in round figures, if the property valued up she would need to have equity of $291,000 and a loan of $3,350,000. At an assumed interest rate of 5 per cent, that would require a payment of $22,091 per month. To service such a loan, a borrower would require an after-tax annual income of $795,276.

• She could make a lot, or she could make nothing. There's many many ways a woman can get to have nice houses and stuff, and none of it is any of your business.

• I am trying to remember mortgage rules for Ireland - I think it is 4 times years salary - So in Ireland with 10% deposit she would need to be roughly on 800k a year.

• I've seen luxury rentals up to and over 10 grand a month. That would just about jive with her salary bracket there, assuming she spends less than half her monthly income on rent.

• huh... he mustt work for all his life overtime

• $3.64... Ya... Pretty sure that's the magic number...

• That depends on so much shit!