What are some good songs to learn on guitar (to play at a gig)?

So I've been playing for ten years and already know quite a few, but I've gotten to the point where I want to play songs at bars for people, and song selection is critical. What are songs you would want to hear someone play and sing? (Keep in mind it would be just me, one acoustic guitar). And while I'm writing this, girls, when you know a guy plays guitar what are some songs you wish he knew how to play?

Most Helpful Guy

• Ooohhh acoustic guitar.
    Here are the ones I like to play:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Cabron", "Breaking the Girl", "Under the Bridge"
    Nirvana - "About a Girl"
    Judas Priest - "Last Rose of Summer"
    The Killers - "For Reasons Unknown" <--super simple lol
    Avenged Sevenfold - "Dear God"
    Death Angel - "A Room with a View", "
    Black Sabbath - "Orchid"
    Coldplay - "Til Kingdom Come" <--one of my favorite songs of all time, I think it's open C tuning
    Led Zeppelin - "Friends", "D'yer Maker", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Tangerine"

Ooohh "Tangerine" is such a nice song lol. But it would probably be better with two people.

Anyway, yeah. I don't know what genres you were looking for, or what your skill level is. Some of these songs are kinda hard for me and I've been playing mostly electric guitar for about 6 years. But I suck with big chords cause of my short fingers so...

• I thought all of those were really good! And I've been playing for 10 years, most songs aren't too big an issue for me to learn anymore

• Can you play Dyer Maker the way Jimmy Page originally played it?

What Girls Said 3

• Iron Maiden - Fear of the dark

Tito & Tarantula - After Dark

• Lol Iron Maiden fear of the dark with just an acoustic hahahaha! Good one! I love you!

• It's pretty easy too, it was one of the very first songs I learned for guitar.

• @DarkHumorRUs

I think it's purely a matter of taste. If you want to listen to good music, you will find it regardless of your age.

Sure, age (and social circles) can play a huge role in what music you're exposed to, but it's down to you to determine whether you deem it of decent quality.

But yes, depends on what bar you go to. Unfortunately, most places play the sane garbage that's in the "top charts", which hasn't had anything other than mainstream pop or generic rap is a really long time.

• I prefer foreign songs

But, between the raindrops?

• three days grace.

What Guys Said 2