How unsafe could online threats be?

I met a guy online and developed a relationship with him. Over time I started to know that person pretty well. One time we broke up, and shortly after that, the abuse started. He sent me number of severe assault messages. I tried to apologize, be understanding, and tried to sort things out with him in general, but all of that didn't work :(. I was hoping he would calm down, accept my apology and move on, but he would keep on sending me threat messages. The worst text he sent me is, "I don't care about your feelings, go kill yourself!". I of course ended up blocking all contact with him. I partially moved on, but this cyber bullying incident keeps haunting me unexpectedly. I have a good excuse to be worried over this, I don't feel safe. This person doesn't have any friends and doesn't want to make friends, he got into many serious physical fights, and held a grudge with someone for over 8 years. His personality is messed up. He seems to be dangerous. What if I meet him by unlucky coincidence? He might physicaly abuse me or even worse, murder me. How screwed am I?

Most Helpful Girl

• You should take ANY form of threats serious. Whether online or offline, via text msgs/phone calls or in person, etc. It will probably take some time for u to get over the abuse. Thats normal. Do u have someone that u can confide in that u can talk about this too? Someone u can talk about it to when you're feeling down. I been through a similar situation. In my case the guy kept sending me harassing text messages because I did not want to talk to him anymore. There's time I feel like how dare he say those stuff to me just because I dont want to talk to him anymore. As if I dont have a choice. Then there's times Im glad I dodged a bullet. But what help is having someone to talk to about it. So all the best hun. I don't know what else he said to u but just know that if he call u any degrading names, dont believe it & if the threats continue u can get the cops involved. All the best hun.

What Guys Said 6

• do you know the location of his residency? if you do then you can rule out a lot of places to be on the safer side. next, save all the "death threatening" messages as evidence if you ever need to use it again him. if he didn't send an actual death threat though, because "go kill yourself" isn't even a death threat, then you can't do shit except fend for yourself until you have cause to take legal action.

• Thank God I didn't receive any death threats from him. I only received a series of very insulting text messages, which I view them as a 'threat' because they made me feel unsafe.

• its harsh but if you take a look at youtube comments, the video uploaders have it way worse than you do and yet they still don't have cause for legal action, well most of them anyways lol.

• A strong argument for not telling someone your real name or physical location till you have known them a long time.

As long as you did not give him this critical information, it is unlikely he can find you.

I am an I. T. Consultant so I know about these things.

• Keep a record of all contact, and make sure people know

• You are really and seriously screwed 😡

• people can be dangerous.

• Do you both live in same state/country?
    Know each other addresses? Pm me

What Girls Said 1

• He can't do you harm unless he's a hacker that could trace you in your home.