How many of you are happy about the race you're born into?

Being an Indian is perhaps the worst thing that could happen to anyone in the western world:
- Nobody likes Indians, esp not other Indians. Yes, that's why a handful of British businessmen conquered India - they realized that its people were divided and were willing to backstab their closest friends for a piece of bread. People hate each other because of religion, caste, language, gender, socio-economic status, and even a minor difference in skin tone.
- You're born into a super conservative culture that's completely incompatible with the west. That means no dating, no wearing short skirts for girls, not hanging around people who date etc. As such, we are forced to live double lives. It's inevitable that we develope multiple personality disorder. We struggle to be our western selves once we leave home, and strugglet to revert back to Indian mode when we get back home. All in the one day. We can't talk to our parents about anything like "hanging out with friends" or even mention the word "dating". We can't freely talk about relationships.
- Your parents behave the way they do to avoid flak from their family and community members, but will never admit it to you. Behaving like every other kid around you means you are becoming "westernized" or "spoiled".
- People think you're after an arranged marriage and have no respect for women. Totally not true.
- To our parents, if we're sad, it's not because of our social issues or personal problems with friends or dating or people.. it's because we must be upset about our studies or grades. To them, there's no such thing as depression.
- Our parents discourage anything that won't contribute to your career or future. This means being a super-tight arse with money, not participating in extra-curricular activities, not exploring your talents.
- Our parents and community also discourage us from expressing ourselves - there's no such thing as having your own opinion - you must follow what your elders say or do.

Most Helpful Girl

• "Being an Indian is perhaps the worst thing that could happen to anyone in the western world:
    - Nobody likes Indians"

"You're born into a super conservative culture that's completely incompatible with the west. That means no dating, no wearing short skirts for girls, not hanging around people who date "

" People hate each other because of religion, caste, language, gender, socio-economic status, and even a minor difference in skin tone"

Wth? I don't agree with this at all.

I'm an Indian. My parents are VERY cool. They're very loving and caring. They're very supportive. I wear short clothes, they never had problem with it. None of my cousins, aunts, uncle or my sister marriage was "arranged"
    We honestly don't care about skin colour. Race, religion doesn't matter to me.

• Lmao same bruh. Feel bad for Asker tho.

• I didn't expect MHO for this...😳😳😳

• Thank you!

What Girls Said 8

• I like being black. Showing that I am not like any other black girl changes people's perception on black people here. It is maybe a small percentage but it's a good start.

Many people here are influenced by the stereotypes. It is up to you to fight against them. It's an non ending battle, but you do make progress.

It's about embracing your race and accepting others too.

• Well I'm Indian so thanks for the boost in morale.

• your life sounds extremely stressful! I was lucky to be born into a mixed family, so there aren't any set traditions for anything.

• This sounds depressing but not everybody hates indians.

I'm okay with what i got.

• i am contented to be in what i am

• I'm happy with being black. 😄

• I'm very happy being black!

• I'm half black half white, and I hated being half white for so many years when I was young. I sometimes used to tell people i wasn't half white if they didn't personally know my family.
    Now, I don't really care though. It is what it is. Races are kind of irrelevant really, it's more culture that's different not people. And even culture, it can vary and it changes all the time as the world grows older. Your country, my country and everybody else's country and culture has changed over the years, and every single older generation of all the ages has complained about the changes in the new generation the slang they use and the music and TV they're now into.

What Guys Said 15

• Hey man, i do agree that i think Indian males whose parents are first generation here in the western world have the most difficult time assimilating because of the contrasting values of their parents.

When i was younger, anything "Asian male" portrayed on television was examined under a microscope. I was just tired of the weak, nerdy and "un-cool" portrayal of Asian Males, however today i believe "social" role has greatly improved.

With that being said, you know what? You gotta suck it up and say fuck it. Why? because you can't change the media, hollywood or your own skin. What you can do is just focus on things that you can improve and improve the image of what the stereotypes people have of you that you interact with.

Just focus energy on that, ignore the crap and move on. Because there's really nothing else to do.

• White, mixed ancestry w/ some Native American. Can't really complain, I have better things to do than worry about something I have no power to change.

• i know an indian girl from uni. she wears sexy clothes and dates guys and I often see her on facebook celebrating indian traditions. pretty sure she posted something about the indian new year not too long ago. I even see her parents comment on her pictures.

she seems to have found a good balance of western and indian culture. she's also pretty popular.

Sounds as though its just your parents that are super strict.

• I'm happy to be a happy Belgian and I like to interact with all cultures and races... nice people are nice people :D

• sheesh thats deep man... I hear you bro,,,

You may feel that way, but try to look at reality...

Indians are probably the biggest winners in the entire world... Theyve spread to every single nation (except Pakistan) and been able to do well...

Yeah these sad trashy White girls may not like you, but American girls are famous for being stupid.. Why can't you trick them into bed like all these other clowns do?

Indians are so noble because no matter how much the world gives them crap they never ever complain they just keep on coming back working harder than ever... In many ways Indians are the opposites of blacks lol

• i don't care... i'd not have any prob being black or Asian

• I'm white, more specifically my family is Celtic. Combination of English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish.

I'm happy with it, as I think that Scotland is just about the coolest country ever, but I guess I'm biased because I like rain and I don't mind the cold.

• I'm pretty happy with being white. The only downside is that i find some Asian girls really cute, but they don't seem to like white guys much.

• What makes you say that?

• @cookiesandcream
      They accuse me of having "yellow fever" and that i just want them for sex. And they automatically assume that I'm a bad person.

When in reality, i just find them really pretty and adorable.

• Dafuq? I'm an Indian and I'm proud of it. Not all Indians are conservative, and what you describle sounds like, i'm sorry, shitty family environment. My parents are cool with my and my sister's dating and all, and thats pretty much the same about all the Indian families I kno.

• I really don't care. Race isn't a part of my identity.

• Yeah I'm happy and I'm proud about being 3/4 Asian (Filipino/Spanish) and 1/4 German

• I'm neutral.

• I can't have a white cowgirl, nobody likes my race too. :/

• eh... get over it...

• my sympathies are with you