Germany vs USA, German culture vs American culture. which one?

Germany vs USA which one do you prefer, which one would you like your children to grow up with? Faun - Walpurgisnacht , German folk music

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda , American pop culture music

and don't tell me it is an unfair comparison and nonsense like that. This is the most fair comparison Niki Minaj is an American idol liked by millions and one of the most influential faces in American pop culture of today.

So tell me, which one do you prefer? the music videos also represent two different old cultures if you look deeper.

• German
  • USA
say this or that or both anything you want. I'm comparing two widely accepted images in two different countries.

Most Helpful Guy

• german is more similar to the dutch culture so I choose for german

• why not Rammstein?

• Haggard too. haggard is one of my favourites.

• Super! Danke!

What Guys Said 18

• Both are great countries and I don't mind my kids to grow up in any of the two, I'm not falling for your BS, you are making a malicious comparison by picking the worse American song among the other millions of songs because you are trying to say "oh look at the American culture, it's all about shaking ass, who wants to bring their children up in this society?" while picking up a good German song, actually neither of these songs represent the culture of the USA and Germany, so you want us to judge two big countries by 2 songs? Lol cool logic I guess... Plus actually Nicki Minaj isn't loved by most of people. But I see what you did there, I'm not surprised though, Hitler would be very proud of you.

• Faun's music does represent the culture of the masses the pop culture of Germany. The most popular musicians always represent the pop culture and most popular German pop musicians use folk in their music, the example is Heino the most popular one.

and Niki Minaj's and Lady GaGa's music do represent the popular culture of today's America. Millions and millions attend their concerts what do you even know about them? GaGa alone makes over 90 million dollars a year.
      And if you don't know what is "pop culture" it is the accepted image between the masses. And this image is accepted, liked, advertised whether you like it or not.

It's funny when a German compares two things he/she gets called Nazi fast. If a Hungarian was asking this you would say nonsenses like that.

I'm not even criticizing or taking sides. It is a simple comparison of popular cultures.

• And you make me feel that you guys are angles in the west who don't rape or kill... It seems that stereotyping is your hobby, just like you did exactly in this question by picking up the worst American song by Nicki Minaj who has haters more than fans because you are trying to make a point that the American culture is about that, same thing you do here with the middle eastern culture and Islam. I'm sure that I will be safe in Germany as long as I don't meet people like you, well hopefully I won't.

• But I'm not gonna be a part of your game, I won't let you ( a bigot and stereotypical western individual) and others like you to change the good view that I have about the western people in general.

• Well, let me first say that I find both cultures very interesting. However, I'm sceptical whether the music videos you posted are authentic representations of these cultures (especially the German one, that ones seems more like a foreigner mystifying German culture to me ;-)).
    Now, because I am Swiss, I am culturally much closer to German culture of course. There are some things about American mentality and culture I like very much, such as the fact that Americans tend to think very positively and are usually very warm-hearted, easy going and welcoming people. In continental Europe , particularly in the German speaking countries, we tend to be very private and reserved and also somewhat pessimistic at times. But then again, I've also lived in the US and there were also things that bothered me very much about American culture/mentality. Some of these things were for example the fact that interesting discussions about politics and religion always end up in a big fight, religious fervor, love of violence (guns, violent movies etc.), very extreme consumer culture, very unhealthy cuisine, and, above all, very extreme sexual prudishness. So all in all, I have to say I would definitely go with German culture if I had to pick one.
    But luckily, I don't. Because I can just have bit of all culture, which I personally find very enriching :-).

• they are authentic. especially the music and the soul of what is shown. The customs used might not be 100% authentic (in Faun's video) because it is a modern interpretation of what was before. and Anaconda is the representation of modern American pop culture.

• Accepted by WHOM? I think what bothers me the most about your defense of this music videos choices is that you claim that there is one specific singer or song that authentically represents the culture of a whole country and you even claim to certainly know who this is. To me, this seems both very conceited and very undifferentiated. Because EVEN IF you were American, you wouldn't be able to just proclaim what is American and what isn't. People have very different views on the culture of a country and there is no one, single source that could ever combine all these views. There is no set of things that definitely belong to German or American culture. Culture is what all the individuals make of it. The movie about Mark Zuckerberg is just as much a representation of American culture as is "American History X" although they talk about vastly different things. Claiming to know better than anyone else what this or that culture is like just makes me feel like you're very full of yourself.

• I'm talking about the "accepted" image accepted "By" the masses, "liked" by them. and American pop culture of today and what is shown in it is the "Accepted" image 'for' the masses "liked" by millions of them in the America.

This is called the accepted "popular culture" in one country. there is diversity in every country but there is one popular culture. and the representation of the popular culture of today's America is this.

And this is while Folk is the mainly "accepted" and liked image and music in my country by the masses. and that will make that the representation, the liked image, in my culture.

That is what I am talking about. The accepted image, the popular image which is the representation of the culture of the masses. nothing else.

that is what I'm talking about. nothing else.

• i am German and i don´t understand why you compare "pop music" of the USA with a very niche German band. it´s rather pagan music too cause it doesn´t actually sound like german folk musik

and yes i am telling you it´s an unfair comparison because literally everybody knows Nicky Minaj but hardly anybody knows Faun. i just happen to know Faun because i "sometimes" listen to music in that general genere.

• Who are the most popular or well-known 'pop music' German artists at the moment that are more comparable to Nicki Minaj?

• they are a little older and mature Faun is more teen friendly.

well, you are one of the modern Germans then, many are like this in Germany today and in all Europe . I liked the old American culture until Elvis and some 1980 heavy metal bands. but not the modern one.

It's just taste and different views I'm afraid.

• i like the old heavy metal bands too ;)

• No idea as I don't know if that's what the majority of Germans are like/into. I know I don't like US pop culture, and it sickens me to see my 10 year old sister watching people such as Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus on daytime TV shaking their arses all over the place wearing next to nothing and thinking that's cool. I wouldn't piss on Nicki Minaj if she was on fire.

• My father had many dealings with German business people. I met many of them and their families. One thing that impressed me immediately was the handshaking on meeting, whether socially or at work.

I like the Walpurgisnacht video. It is very pagan, which appeals to me!!

The only true American cultures are those of the Indian tribes, which I also admire.

• I prefer Dutch and French culture over anything else.

• Belgian culture'll win in the end.

• Belgium is a great country indeed

• And since it's small and most Americans haven't heard of it, no one'll expect it when it suddenly attacks.

• USA all the way

• 1|0
    • LOL and what about Spain? It's better than the two in my opinion.

• As another Real Madrid fan, I can feel your disappointment lol

• @YazanAA Hahaha Come here, brother, lets cry together... xD

• In the U. S. you can find many people from around the world that have brought their culture with them (including : music, foods, language, and views) and flourished
    Example: I lived near New Ulm, Minnesota which is named after Ulm Germany, it has some stores that still use "Haus" in their names, and is home to a statue of Herman the German. The list goes on...
    You could say the same about Spanish, Italian, Belgian or French cultures in America.
    It's the juxtaposition of many cultures that define the entity of the "American"culture and is the embodiment of the Latin phase "E Pluribus Unum" (one from many)
    Which would you rather have... an Apple each day, or a cornucopia for a lifetime?

• I'm not talking about diversity and differences. I'm talking about the similarities and popular image.

• Why can't I pick both? Both cultures are fine plus I already live in the USA.

• For me quality of living there it's a tie but for culture German culture is richer and more interesting. Although I would prefer other culture to either American or Germany culture like my own culture...

• What the fuck, how is this an appropriate comparison?
    Whatever, Americans have no real culture anyway, taking the German one of course.

• couldn't agree more!

• Let's say the comparison should have been "Modern American" vs Traditional Northern European.

But then Traditional northern/western European is mainly German and Celtic. so saying America vs Germany isn't that wrong. I didn't want to compare the modern cultures but the American culture which is the culture of no-culture with a modern band that has German sound.

It's quite fair for that comparison.

• are you a nazi, klara hitler?

• both culture is beautiful.
    :)

• Germany they have cute couple ;)

• its not fair a better comparison would be Christina Perri and these fools!

• German, even if they do push in line and wake up at 6am to leave their towels on all the sun loungers.

What Girls Said 12

• Germans - so much more disciplined and clever

• Sorry I commented too quickly and ignored the link to music. HAHA but I'd still vote for Germans.

• Neither because no matter what country I'm in I'll be hated for no reason. xD

• nonsens in my opion

• unfortunately there are who will hate black people but not everyone is like that

• @vekin I know not everyone is like that, but it's hard not to come across those who make snide comments underneath their breath thinking you can't hear it, or someone who won't act like a dick out in the open about it. When there maybe only a few people who do it, it still hurts.

• American. I wouldn't want to be associated with Nazism. ;D

Seriously, America. I don't find Germany to be interesting except between the years of 1930-1945.

• well I don't think you know much about Germany then.

• Was there really need to usr such rude language?

• Yes, if you're REALLY that dumb to come onto my comment when there was CLEAR evidence that I wasn't being serious. I don't like to deal with stupid people because it's a waste of time.

• Why is pop music your basis for "culture" in this comparison?

• how do these music videos represent the cultures you are referring to? answer: they don't

• How don't they represent the cultures? Niki minaj is the best example pop culture of Today's America. and pop culture and music of Germany widely uses classical and folk music.

and music is the first and foremost representation of a culture.

• Many Germany pop and Folk bands*

• i can assure you that Nicki Minaj has more haters than fans. I'm not even American but you are spouting such bullshit.

If you had made an appropriate comparison I would probably have chosen Germany as European culture is much more similar than American and as I'm from the UK I'd be able to relate to it more

• no one really no german i know listens to some folks music, plus you can't compare anaconda to some german folk music, that's just ridiculous

• why not? it's Northern/western European traditional sound which is rooted in the core culture that we had here until 70 years ago. And anaconda is the pop culture of today's America. good comparison for Germanic sound and a Modern American sound. And there are many traditional families who listen to a form of folk or pop music that has elements of folk and classic. American style is popular as well beside many other genres.

• first, everyone in germany listens to music from nicki minaj at least people my age, second, i never heard of a band called faun, third, the family you mentioned are all "Deutsch", no other people here would listen to folks music

• "why not?"
      because, Asker, you're comparing "the culture we had up until 70 years ago" with "modern America." If you want a fair comparison, compare German pop music to American pop music, or German traditional music to American traditional music (not sure what that is - maybe folk songs or jazz or similar).

I came back here because I was surprised at the down votes on my opinion.

• Don't care for either, honestly. If we're talking European I prefer France by a long shot. France seems to attract less fanatic and overzealous lovers, too.

• USA is batshit crazy.

• American music is diverse. Much diverse than German music.

I'd say American.

• Germany... ...

• Germany all the way.

• German for sure.