Question for atheists?

A lot of atheists will claim that theists and religious people are illogical or irrational, in how they act, what they think, and what they believe.

How do you reconcile the belief that human beings can be irrational with the belief that the universe is 100% deterministic.

Are you conceding that consciousness is exempt from the deterministic laws of the universe, and behaves supernaturally by definition?

How do you reconcile your stupidity?

Most Helpful Guy

• irrationality is just a description of a behaviour a lot of people don't fully understand. in fact a lot of behaviours can't always be explained. i believe in the facts that are available, and i believe that there are many things we have not yet found explanations for.

as for having faith in a greater being.. well just look at history. what happened to all the people that believed in zeus and thor? they were just as convinced about their god as today's people are about their own.

then there's the fact that multiple religions exist today. if only one of them can be right.. which one is it?

the puzzle pieces just dont fall into place when you put religion into the equation. not for me anyway.

• You may not understand why this person is being irrational, but irrationality is clearly defined. Science says the universe is always rational, or else science wouldn't be possible.

If everything acts as a direct result of a previous cause then you can't classify anything as irrational.

• @jacquevol

Lol, that was your point?

Well if something "seems" irrational that doesn't mean it is.😉

So to view something as irrational or illogical is incorrect in your opinion? Then what classifies as rational?

• That logic basically states that anyone who thinks anything is illogical is incorrect. Which disqualifies logic itself. I don't think you have a good point...

What Girls Said 6

• I don't understand why you seem to believe that an irrational thought process can't coexist with a deterministic universe. Regardless, not all atheists/non believers are indoctrinated to the same beliefs. Not all of us think of the universe the same way.

But anyway, your insults mean nothing. You're not making any kind of point. You think atheists are stupid, and that's all you're really saying here.

• Well I guess I'm addressing atheists that believe in science since that's what it's relevant to.

And you're right in a way, people either don't understand or won't understand much less conceed the point.

• "Nothing in the description of determinism states that all events are rational"

Sigh, there's no point in trying to reach you.

"The world itself may be rational and all that"

Is this a backtrack?

"The brain functioning itself may make rational sense but that doesn't mean the thoughts it produces has to."

This is where you're confusing yourself.

"And that's not to say the source of thought is supernatural either. Just that its more complicated than 2+2."

This is where you lost comprehension.

Consciousness is in effect supernatural because it is in essence the expression of free will. And free will isn't bound by any laws, deterministic, scientific or anything else you want to throw at it.

My brain is working l very hard... Trying to reach you, but I'm thinking it might be hopeless.

• Trying to shove your opinion down someone's throat isn't teaching them anything. You have a very fundamental misunderstanding of determinism so I don't know what else to tell you at this point. Go on your miserable way.

• I am not an athiest but I just wanted to say

Loll, your last question.

Haha, the way you wrote it out the details from top makes it more funny. :)

• People are free to believe whatever they like.
    Me personally = total belief in SELF... the end.

• I don't think they're illogical or irrational necessarily, I just disagree with them. I believe in determinism but I'm not sure about the universe being 100% deterministic.. neutrinos seem to act randomly for example.. I think the universe's general purpose is to self perpetuate though and nothing else. I think the universal consciousness, of which we're all apart, wants the universe to perpetuate just because, so yeah that'd be uncaused. I think everything else is pretty much caused by this or by chance.. That last part I regard as a stupid question

• I agree

I think its a very good question actually. I'm interested in knowing how they can lack such introspection while in the midst of being so judgmental of others.

• I believe in what I believe in, I really don't care what others believe and will not push my own beliefs on them. They can believe (or don't have to believe) in whatever they want.

http://i.imgur.com/KkcPkit.jpg

• we are all stupid.

• Hmm, so does that mean people who think other people are stupid are even dumber?

I don't think that's always the case.

What Guys Said 13

• First of all: Why do irrational human beings and a deterministic universe not go well together? What do they even have in common in the context of this question?
    Secondly: I don't know what sort of "atheists" you know but I can tell you that the large majority of atheists does NOT believe the universe is deterministic. In fact, this sounds more like a religious idea, because religious people want to see a goal or a purpose in everything. The universe is not deterministic. It doesn't have any goals or purposes of existence as far science can tell. It simply exists.

• Well, some atheists do deny free will. They are wrong to do so (in fact, any attempt to rebut the existence of free will rebuts itself, as knowledge requires free will). But, that doesn't invalidate atheism.

Your labelling of free will as supernatural is bizarre. Nothing exists outside of existence. That's a contradiction in terms.

• What is the point in even telling you?

Most likely you will bash my views just like any other Christian who finds out that someone is atheist. All I will say is I do not have to believe in your religion and that is it.

• @kobe23
    Name calling isn't helping you.

• Chill bro, do not introduce negative emotions while you are trying to discuss (not argue) with some one. But sadly in most cases in this internet is will be just chaotic arguments.
    Read this: nymag.com/.../...t-the-new-atheists-get-wrong.html

• hahahhaha no... not all r irratonal

• Shitstorm incoming.

• G8 B8 M8 I R8 IT 8/8

And I'm not even an atheist.

• If you don't mind me asking, you do realize that atheists don't see you as equals right? (Lol)

What exactly about this question do you have a problem with? Do you agree with the atheist side or?

• I don't agree with either side when it comes to holier than thou shit flinging and name calling.

• Lol... Nice straw man. Where's your evidence that the "universe is 100% deterministic."

What does determinism have to do with someone disregarding blatant facts and thinking the creator of everything is a bearded white guy?

• There is no such thing as irrationality, only the illusion of it. There is no such thing as choice, only the illusion of choice, because our human minds cannot comprehend the vastness of the timeline.
    Also, not all atheists are deterministic.

• We don't know if everything is deterministic

• Methinks you are drawing faulty conclusions but still proclaiming yourself genius...

• I'm an atheist and I believe that anyone with a religion should be killed! Stupidity doesn't belong on this planet. Religion is evil!

• I'm an atheist and I believe you're trolling.

• Don't you agree that religion is evil? Whenever you turn on the TV, people ate dying because of it!
      These people need to be wiped off the earth!