Why does Hollywood always cast Brits as villains?

0|0
5|6

Most Helpful Guy

• I suspect that it's because Brits have an accent that sets them apart to Americans, BUT they (particularly graduates of drama school) also tend to be educated, literate, and have a good vocabulary, which both garners some instant respect and a bit of intimidation from many Americans. That's a good quality to have if you want your audience to have some real fear that the villain is a genuine threat.

0|0
    0|1

What Guys Said 5

• Bond. James Bond. Perhaps the most enduring good guy of all time.

0|0
    0|0
    • still doesn't explain about type-casting as villains if bond was a good guy

• Show All
    • it's not about that commercial - that was just a prompt for a discussion

• Still Bond. James Bond ;)

• because americans are too nice and soft

0|0
    0|0
  • Because in the history of this country the were the very first villain American hero's ever defeated.

0|0
    0|0
    • is it really that deep thought that they still cast them as villains?

• Show All
    • if it makes you feel any better, people in the UK don't trust the media either. There's this australian guy called Rupert Murdoch who has a monopoly on loads of the newspapers and most people despise him

• In American we have 5 major media companies they own most of the newspapers TV stations record lables and even the 5 major movie companies I'm sure they are the ones that picked the evil Brit thing

• It's that smooth sexy accent.

0|0
    0|0
  • lol its an American thing, Asians as goofy/geeks. Britians as goofy or evil.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Would have rather had Ryan Gosling playing the part of Voldemort in Harry Potter?

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they are sexy as ffkkk

1|0
    0|0
    • are villains meant to be sexy though? i never understood that

• Well sometimes! Lol like a lot of girls love Loki.
      But I think British actors are very popular because they have special talent or just because they are from England. America loves English people.

• Not... I normally see Russians , middle eastern or Chinese as the bad people in the movies.

0|0
    0|0
    • in hollywood movies? brits are notoriously the bad guys

• Not always. I see them put in the role of scientists/government authority figures working for the good or bad team sometimes.

• you see far more brits as bad guys than good guys, though

• the accent...

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the accent!

0|0
    0|0